Software Error: MM DLNA + VLC (no songs to play)

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

aaha

Post by aaha »

MM UPnP-DLNA Problems with VLC

Thanks for this great MM-Software. Better than iTunes!

Problem:
I like to use the VLC Media Player as a DLNA-Client, because VLC is available for Windows, Linux, Android, Mac, etc and is VERY, VERY POPULAR and very well known. Therefore VLC is installed on many computers and mobile devices. (I'd like to preinstall MM and VLC on different customer PCs).

To developers: Nowadays it is recommended to have a good and flexible solution for all different kind of Operating Systems OS and also for all different mobile devices.
Therefore: to use VLC as a working DLNA-client for MM-DLNA-Server would be a great solution, many users would be thankful.

(There are not many useful Windows DLNA-Client around - tried many of them and all of them have disadvantages..., tried also many different servers but I like MM best!)

Testconfiguration1: VLC as a DLNA-client on PC2 can detect the MM-DLNA-Server, but there are NO songs to share. It DOESN'T WORK to play anything...
Testconfiguration2: I tried also with older and latest beta version of MM as as DLNA-Server on PC1. Still no working DLNA System with VLC.
Testconfiguration3: VLC as a DLNA-client on PC3 (with Windows 7) can detect the MM-DLNA-Server, but there are NO songs to share. It DOESN'T WORK to play anything...

Testconfiguration5: VLC as a DLNA-client on PC2 can detect the TP-Link DLNA-Server. And there are ALL songs to share. It works great!
Testconfiguration6: MM as a DLNA-client on PC2 can detect the MM-DLNA-Server. And there are ALL songs to share. It works great!

PC1: Win XP Pro SP3 with MM-DLNA-Server v4.0.7.1511 Std (other Versions tested also - still no luck with VLC)

PC2: Win XP Pro SP3 with MM (v4.0.6.1501 Std or newer) as a DLNA-Client.
PC2: Win XP Pro SP3 with VLC 2.0.7 (tried also with VLC v2.0.6 or v2.0.3 as a DLNA-Client --> still not working).
(PC3: Win 7 SP1)
Router: TP-Link TL-WR842ND with its own DLNA-Server (this Server switched ON or OFF --> got the same result with VLC not working together with MM)
All of them are connected via wired Ethernet cables.

CONCLUSION:
Tried a lot with different software and configurations.
In general VLC is working as a DLNA-client with other servers - BUT NOT WITH MM (Media Monkey) sever....
My conclusion: It seems, that there is a big INCOMPATIBILITY in DLNA function of MM together with VLC.
Please make it work.

QUESTIONS:
Question 1: Has anyone a working solution or a workaround for MM-DLNA-Server with VLC-DLNA-client playing songs?
Question 2: Can MM-Developer team sort out all problems with MM-DLNA-Server and VLC as a DLNA-client?

Solution: Maybe MM developers should contact the VLC developers directly to solve all problems together and get it to work?

Thank you in advance for your professional work and for a working solution!

Using VLC as a DLNA UPnP Client:
English VLC Menu: 'View' > Playlist > Local Network > Universal Plug'n Play
German (=Deutsch) VLC Menu: 'Ansicht' > Wiedergabeliste > Lokales Netzwerk > Universal Plug'n Play
Last edited by aaha on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.
nohitter151

Re: Problem MM DLNA + VLC (no songs to play) Software Error

Post by nohitter151 »

How do you use VLC as a dlna client? I can't see how to do it in the interface.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
tye.z

Re: Software Error: MM DLNA + VLC (no songs to play)

Post by tye.z »

Hello,

I am seeing the same problem, so was hoping to revive some attention to this. I updated to tha latest MM a few weeks ago, and am trying to connect to it with the latest VLC for iOS. While other clients are able to see my MM content and play it, VLC for some reason always returns an empty list.

I agree with the OP that this would be a great combination.

Thanks for any help on this!

-T
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Only way to do something about that is to open new support ticket and supply debug log as described at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69

Try to use VLC on same PC as MMW to eliminate Firewall issues.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Did anyone ever find a solution to this, I'm also looking to use VLC on an iPad and it comes up with an empty list. Other apps do work so I know the iPad can connect.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The problem may lie with VLC in that case. You can always capture a debug log (step 4b) in MediaMonkey of VLC trying to connect to the MediaMonkey Server and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=20&t=69
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Lowlander wrote:The problem may lie with VLC in that case. You can always capture a debug log (step 4b) in MediaMonkey of VLC trying to connect to the MediaMonkey Server and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=20&t=69
I think you must be right about it being a VLC problem, MM accepts the connection alright according to the log.