[1813] Causing race condition in Win7 login

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

theta_wave

[1813] Causing race condition in Win7 login

Post by theta_wave »

After the latest Microsoft updates landed on my Win7 install, I rebooted per instructions; the Win7 session that had installed the updates also installed MMW 1813. Windows rebooted and I landed on my login screen and proceeded to log into my non-Admin user account (the one I mainly use). The login screen got stuck on the Welcome screen permanently, so I had to do a hard shutdown. With my non-Admin user account, there are a few other things that autostart there and not in the Admin account I rarely use. System-wide, the main programs that autostart are Windows Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes and Sandboxie. Anyways, every time I tried logging into my non-Admin account, the OS won't continue any further besides the Welcome screen.

For the barebones Admin account, I managed to log into that and immediately noticed that Mediamonkey autostarted along with the three aforementioned programs. I checked msconfig and regedit (Run and RunOnce) and didn't notice mediamonkey.exe there. Anyways, after logging out of Admin, I tried logging back into it and couldn't proceed any further than the Welcome screen--hard shutdown and reboot again. On the next boot, I managed to get into the Admin account and proceeded to uninstall Mediamonkey. Logged off and, lo and behold, managed to log back into my Admin account. Also, I was finally able to log to my main non-Admin account.
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin
Peke

Re: [1813] Causing race condition in Win7 login

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Do you see same behavior if you install MMW as portable?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

Peke wrote:Hi,
Do you see same behavior if you install MMW as portable?
Installed 1813 as a portable installation. Logged out and successfully logged back in. Mediamonkey didn't automatically start up upon login as I described in my first post. I long moved my %AppData%\MediaMonkey directory to my external USB3.0 HDD and created a symbolic link to that from the Portable subdirectory, so the Portable install practically mirrors my previous full install. On a separate issue, I noticed how queries and lookups have dramatically slowed to a crawl for my 2.1GB MM.DB. I assumed that is partially due to it being on a 7200rpm HDD via USB3.0. I tried full db optimization a few days ago and Mediamonkey didn't do anything for several hours while frozen. If you are interested in investigating this further, I can start a separate thread on this separate speed issue.
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin
Peke

Post by Peke »

Theta_wave,
Maybe it would be the best to open support ticket where we can go into more specific details without hogging others.

If you can also it would be good that you compress your MM.DB (should be no more than 200-300MB) and Send it to us for consistency analyze.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts