Ratings not transferred to NAS (?)

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

fscout

Ratings not transferred to NAS (?)

Post by fscout »

Hey there,

I am running the latest MediaMonkey version on Windows 10 and two NAS, a Synology DS206+ and a new QNAP TS-253A.
Unfortunately, the song ratings defined in Mediamonkey and visible in windows Explorer are not available in the music servers of the synology and the QNAP or Plex Mediaserver. Using these programs, all song ratings seemed to have disappeared, which makes it impossible to use e.g. smart playlists on the NAS with other mediaplayers than a windows PC.
Does anybody have an idea on how to fix this? How to make the song ratings available also on a NAS or in a UNIX environment?
Lowlander

Re: Ratings not transferred to NAS (?)

Post by Lowlander »

It would depend on the NAS/Plex capability to read Rating. As far as I can tell Plex doesn't read Rating from files (it actually relies primarily on filename and online retrieval of metadata.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Just installed PLEX on QNAP 1.2.7.2987 Plex Media Server and from what I see it uses own Rating not compliant with MMW or anything else I tried iTunes and WMP rated files also.

I noticed that it is very limited for music especially.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then you got to try it more, it's got so many wonderful features I'd dream of seeing in MediaMonkey. Do note that there is 1 huge difference as Plex tries to automatically get all info for your media, and isn't for tagging, unlike MediaMonkey for which it's a primary focus. For Movies and TV it's amazing and MediaMonkey can't compare, there is no automated data retrieval, and Plex generally gets it right. For Music it does some really nice stuff that MediaMonkey doesn't, like retrieving synopsis and Artwork for Artists, and also video clips and concert data (some if this requires paid subscription), but it lacks in the tag department (many not available and Ratings not being read from file). It relies too heavily on online data compared to what's in the files. This however for playback purposes this isn't that much of a hindrance. The biggest issue is lack of AutoPlaylists, but more importantly it lacks Playlist import capability (so one could import MediaMonkey's exported AutoPlaylists) as that would allow you to work around the lack of AutoPlaylists (and with missing tags it would be limited anyway).

The key to plex is that you need to adhere strictly to their requirements for your media files, but if you do it does work amazingly well. It is also a closed eco-system, but one that has Apps (both client and server) on a large variety of devices. With merely naming your Movies and TV files correctly Plex creates a Netflix (and better than that) of your media files with the added bonus it works over the internet.
fscout

Post by fscout »

well, if it were only Plex, which does not read ratings, it would be a minor problem.
But I meanwhile tried three mediaservers running on popular NAS (Synology, QNAP and Plex mediaserver), and non of these reads / uses the ratings definied in MM.

I am accessing my music collection with several different devices (e.g. Samsung TV, Philips Stremium), but for all of them the ratings defined in MM/Windows are not accessible.

I agree this problem is probably not a "MM-issue", however it siginificantly limits user experience/satisfaction.
Somehow those currently obvious two world should be harmonized - maybe by some kind of add-on, or a kind of industry standard ?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is an industry standard for most file formats (like ID3 for MP3), but many ignore Rating (as it's a personal value, not a fact of the file). You can use the MediaMonkey DLNA server if you want clients to see Rating (that also depends if they choose to display it).