Various Issues regarding the MediaMonkey DLNA server

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

TheMartyJoy

Various Issues regarding the MediaMonkey DLNA server

Post by TheMartyJoy »

Hello all,

So I have two issues that I'd like to mention and I can provide log files and debug files if required. They both revolve around the MediaMonkey DLNA server.

Just to clear things up, I have mediamonkey installed on a server running as a DLNA server. I installed it on the server because it has the raid array that is hosting all my content so mediamonkey can access it faster then going via windows shares. I also have one client machine (my main pc) that I use to listen to all my music and sync content to my iPhone.

The first (and I'm hoping the easiest of the two to fix), is that it's very very very finnicky at times when it comes to finding content via the DLNA tree. I have a song (happens to any song but for this example) Bart Classen - E.T. Astronaut (Original Mix). I'm currently listening to it on my main pc via the DLNA server. Now I like this song and I'd like to go see what other songs this artist has. So I expand the media server, go under artists, go under B. Find Bart Classen in the list, click on it. Media Monkey will show the Reading Files... in the status bar at the bottom. After a bit it will disappear and low and behold... no songs are listed. This happens A LOT. I can click on other artists and then click on the Bart Classen one again and if I'm lucky I'm may get results back. I know for sure 100% the song is there because my main pc has absolutely no content on it so anything I can listen to it is over the DLNA server.

The second problem is when it comes to sync content to my iPhone. This is really hit or miss. For starters it will ALWAYS generate some sort of error that it can't access the file properly, but it will still sync the song. Some songs however don't get synched at all. On top of this (and I'm not sure if this is by design or not) but it does not appear as if MediaMonkey is checking the device to see if the song is already present. If I have a song that is in two playlists that I'm synching instead of adding the song once and it being showed in both playlists on my phone it will add the track twice.

Looking forward to your reply, I can provide logs and debug info if required.
Lowlander

Re: Various Issues regarding the MediaMonkey DLNA server

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and have you recently run complete optimization (File > Maintain Library)?
TheMartyJoy

Post by TheMartyJoy »

Both client and server should be on latest, I'm not sure when it was last optimized, I can try this. Not sure how long it will take since it's a huge library. As a side note, is there the ability or future planning of being to offload the DB to a dedicated DB Server?

4.1.14.1813 on client
4.1.14.1813 on server

I started the maintain library with Rebuilt full-text and optimize database complete
I'll keep you posted once it's done. Since I had to open MM to do this it's monitoring all the folders... this could take a while.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Complete optimization can speed up the database which can improve any function accessing the database.

MediaMonkey 5 will continue the current database architecture (SQLite).
Peke

Post by Peke »

You should try to use latest RC 4.1.15.1828 and above.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

what i get when I try this is a listing of the albums and [all]. If i just click on the artist i get a blank page. But once i click one of the album s or [all] I then get the the tracks for that specific album (or all).
This appears to be working for all my artists. Are you getting sub nodes for the various albums?

Note I will say that ALL FILES at the very top does not appear to work. but with 150k tracks that would be a lot of chatter across the network
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
TheMartyJoy

Post by TheMartyJoy »

Sorry all had to run out for some family functions.

Based on cpu usage I think the DB is done optimizing (no longer spiking one core at 100%).

It appears to be somewhat repaired, that one artist I used in my example is loading content, but there are still some odd things happening like certain artist don't get any sub-menus ([all], album title) but if I click on the artist name there are tracks that get loaded into the column browser. So there is obviously a track there but it doesn't seem to generate the sub menus (not the biggest problem).

Optimizing does seem to have helped a lot as I have yet to click on an artist that doesn't load it's content into the colum browser at least. So for now this appears to be resolved. But the behaviour is still odd that some artist get the sub menus and some don't... to the best of my knowledge by design they should all be getting them. I'm not sure if another media player would be able to see the tracks without the submenus. On some tracks I notice I don't have an album information (not the norm) and I guess for those tracks it makes sense that the submenu may be missing but should there not still be [all] and perhaps UNKNOWN?

Thank you all for the help and your time looking into this. I really love media monkey and I'm only mentioning these small hickups to try and help make it better.

For what it's worth I am using the licensed version I'm not sure if maybe breaking up all my content into collections would help or not (I don't think each collection gets it's own dlna server does is?). Since optimizing the DB seems to have rectified one issue I can only imagine the other is most likely DB related as well. Is there a hard limit to how big mediamonkey can handle for db size? I know SQLite can have db's upwards of 100+ Terabytes and I'm no where near that for sure but the DB file is still fairly big.

dtsig wrote:what i get when I try this is a listing of the albums and [all]. If i just click on the artist i get a blank page. But once i click one of the album s or [all] I then get the the tracks for that specific album (or all).
This appears to be working for all my artists. Are you getting sub nodes for the various albums?

Note I will say that ALL FILES at the very top does not appear to work. but with 150k tracks that would be a lot of chatter across the network
My ALL at top works but takes FOREVER to load, obviously I've never taken the time to load it and compare it to the physical file list to make sure absolutely all content was loaded as this would most likely be an exercise in frustration.

Peke wrote:You should try to use latest RC 4.1.15.1828 and above.
Is there a forum channel I should be monitoring for new RC releases?

When I check for update MM is telling me it's the latest version at 4.1.14.1813.
Lowlander wrote:Complete optimization can speed up the database which can improve any function accessing the database.

MediaMonkey 5 will continue the current database architecture (SQLite).
No plans or possibility to allow the user to offload the DB to a dedicated DB Server to help with DB transaction speeds?
It's ok if the answer is no I know it's not an option most users or even 10% of users would most likely use. I'm just curious to see if we could get better DB speeds and responses from having it on it's own dedicated HW.

EDIT: Since I'm stupid I made a bunch of post instead of one big post, merged them all but can't seem to find the option to delete the others.

EDIT2: apparently you can only delete your last post in the topic... so I was able to delete the other posts... sorry for the mess mods.
Last edited by TheMartyJoy on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Beta Forum has any Beta/RC release announcements.