MP3 with non standard APEv2 fail [#14063]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisgewinnt

MP3 with non standard APEv2 fail [#14063]

Post by chrisgewinnt »

Hi all!
After using Musicbee for several years I returned MM Gold 4.115.1830. After the firs scan of my folders I realized that MM showed different (wrong!) tags for ca. 10% of my files. Although mp3tag and Musicbee read the right title and genre, MM reads complete different values, as you can see in the pictures below. Who knows how to read the correct tags?

Lowlander

Re: Wrong Tags

Post by Lowlander »

Is Infer File Properties enabled under Tools > Options > Library?

Also make sure data isn't stored in multiple tags as different programs have different priorities in choosing tags to read.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you also change all apps language to English as "Alma" on some languages means "Blues" or "Soul"

Also can you upload one of files and send me DL link in PM so that we can analyze?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
chrisgewinnt

Post by chrisgewinnt »

ThanX for your interest. i am running MM in german, infer file properties is checked. When I change the language I can see no difference. In this case it concerns not only my custom genre-tag, also the title tag is wrong. I sent you a file.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for sample file, I've found the reason why MMW do not read tags from it.

File contain Non-Standard APEv2 Tag on the end of file which confuses MMW and then it is flagged as file with incorrect tag even correct ID3v2.3 tag exist in file.

I Assigned developer to fix it and filed it under http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14063
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

The workaround for now would be that you use mp3tag and strip invalid APETAGEX from file and them re-scan them into MMW.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisgewinnt

Post by chrisgewinnt »

Peke wrote:The workaround for now would be that you use mp3tag and strip invalid APETAGEX from file and them re-scan them into MMW.
Which program do you recommend to delete the ape infos. Mp3tag, which I use, has the feature to delete a specific Tag-Code. I tried it with the file I sent you, but it didn´t work - still the wrong tag shown (mp3tag and thegodfather say there is no ape and both show the correct title and genre)! i´m quite confused.
MiPi

Re: MP3 with non standard APEv2 fail [#14063]

Post by MiPi »

The problem is slightly more complicated. The sample file has correct ID3v2 tag, then second ID3v2 tag (values from this second tag overwrite values from the first, that is why MediaMonkey shows some "wrong" tags), then ID3v1 tag, then non-standard APETAG and then another ID3v1 tag at the end of the file. Really mess.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

chrisgewinnt wrote: Which program do you recommend to delete the ape infos. Mp3tag, which I use, has the feature to delete a specific Tag-Code. I tried it with the file I sent you, but it didn´t work - still the wrong tag shown (mp3tag and thegodfather say there is no ape and both show the correct title and genre)! i´m quite confused.
It seems, MP3Val tool could fix your problematic files. At least it fixed your sample file the best way it could (removed non-standard duplicate tags and preserved correct tags). Don't forget to backup all your files before trying to fix them.
chrisgewinnt

Post by chrisgewinnt »

MiPi wrote:
chrisgewinnt wrote: Which program do you recommend to delete the ape infos. Mp3tag, which I use, has the feature to delete a specific Tag-Code. I tried it with the file I sent you, but it didn´t work - still the wrong tag shown (mp3tag and thegodfather say there is no ape and both show the correct title and genre)! i´m quite confused.
It seems, MP3Val tool could fix your problematic files. At least it fixed your sample file the best way it could (removed non-standard duplicate tags and preserved correct tags). Don't forget to backup all your files before trying to fix them.
I got this tool an will try it. The still existing problem is,that I dont want to run it with all files (50.000), because I do not exactly know, which file is read wrong. A solution whithin MM would be better.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'd always be stuck with that you'd manually want to evaluate each file as you'd never know which of all the tags in the file would be the appropriate.

Note that MediaMonkey can Auto-Tag from Filename which allows you to get the tag info from the Folder/Filename. If files are properly (logically) organized this can be a great help to get the correct tags (at least for many of the basic like Title).
chrisgewinnt

Post by chrisgewinnt »

Lowlander wrote:You'd always be stuck with that you'd manually want to evaluate each file as you'd never know which of all the tags in the file would be the appropriate.

Note that MediaMonkey can Auto-Tag from Filename which allows you to get the tag info from the Folder/Filename. If files are properly (logically) organized this can be a great help to get the correct tags (at least for many of the basic like Title).
Thanks Lowlander for your tip. Until now I got no problems with my tags, because musicbee (before I used Winamp, then Itunes) read everything. I tried to keep things tidy with mp3tag, but there are some problems I realised now! I am used to make intelligent playlist, that depend on my tags. The genre tag alma I used in this file describes the music from my daughter. I got a lot of live concerts/rehearsals. in this case I have custumized tags and in the comment field the date of the gig. So you see that is a really important feature for me, that has to work correct. I found a tool named mp3diags, that I will try out.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

chrisgewinnt wrote: I got this tool an will try it. The still existing problem is,that I dont want to run it with all files (50.000), because I do not exactly know, which file is read wrong. A solution whithin MM would be better.
I really recommend to check all your files with this MP3Val tool, because e.g. the sample file you have sent us was in fact corrupted by the wrong tags (MP3 file should not have the structure, your file has). Any tagging in any tagging software could damage these files more anytime. Other tagging software could read the tags and everything could look ok, but it is not. MP3Val tool could very quickly go through your files and tell you, which ones have wrong structure. These files you should backup and try to fix. It will not corrupt any file, that is ok, only files, where it detects problem and tries to fix it, could. So first only scan files, and, after backup, try to fix.
Peke

Post by Peke »

As MiPi said, Sample file is actually corrupted with multiple Metdata ID3v2 tags saved and we unfortunately can't do anything more than just try to detect the corruption and notify in future MediaMonkey versions.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisgewinnt

Post by chrisgewinnt »

Thanks to all for your comments. I repaired this album with mp3val and actually I am scanning all my files with mp3diags. A lot of work is waiting for my CPU! :D