Skins & Icons

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

MMFrLife

Skins & Icons

Post by MMFrLife »

MM4 Skin for MM5?

It would really be great, if at some point, a skin that mimics the layout of MM4 (at least, to some degree) could be developed. :wink:
It should be included with install.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Peke

Re: Skins

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is not possible MM4.x Skinning engine is not included in MM5.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Thanks, Peke

The answer may still be the same, but I worded the OP incorrectly.
Just to be clear, what I meant to say is:

Is it possible to make an MM5 skin that just has the "look" of am MM4 skin like metro - but not just in terms of colors, with panel components, to some degree, too.
Or, is it that when panel components are introduced to the MM5 UI, they won't be able to be moved around/relocated/ordered in any similar way as to
what is possible in MM4?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Hi.

Panels relocation we have already in TODO (see here).
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Forgive me too. English is not my native language.

As Petr already pointed teh purpose of MM5 is not to limit UI but to liberate it. Alpha is a tech review and in final it may end very very different.

That said, as Skinning for MM5 is still open to changes (as seen) I can say that it should be possible to make skins similar to MM4 or even better.
Best regards,
Peke
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Thanks to both!

It sounds promising! :)
It's sounding like, with panel reintroduction, a special skin may not even be needed to get the spirit of MM4.
Just put it on the right view and customize the panels.

I like the variety of different views you can get with MM5 and that's great for fun-time, pure listening mode.
But editing, organizing is, of course, different. Although, I'm not all that crazy about how the tree is laid out.
Maybe a skin would help with that.
😜
jiri

Post by jiri »

What exactly do you miss in the tree? Note that the Artist and Album subnodes can be added by an Addon, as already discussed in another topic.

Jiri
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Thanks, Jiri

Maybe I spoke too soon on that. It's actually been a little while since I've fiddled with MM5. I just updated to
.2062. Seems to be much smoother than previous versions. I think I just need to spend a little more time with the look and feel of it.
I'll report back if needed.
😜
jiri

Post by jiri »

Always looking for a useful feedback! ;-)

Jiri
MMFrLife

Re: Skins & Icons

Post by MMFrLife »

What format and size are MM5's icons?
😜
jiri

Post by jiri »

MM5 uses vector graphics (SVG) and so there isn't any particular size.

Jiri
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

So, if I were customizing (some day) I would look for any size with ".svg" extension?
😜
djdd

Post by djdd »

Can you recommend an editor for SVG files, or a converter to convert bitmap files to SVG?

btw.
  • existing icons are stored here: …\skin\icon
  • Icons for your own extension should be stored here: …\Scripts\<your extension>\skin\icon
jiri

Post by jiri »

There's quite a lot of editors, free ones, even web-browser based. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... cs_editors . I haven't tested them much and so can't really recommend.

We rather base our current icon set on freely available icons from http://iconmonstr.com/. Note that there are also other free and good looking icon libraries, like http://www.flaticon.com/packs/essential-set-2 and particularly https://material.io/icons/ , which might look in the Black Monkey skin... ;-)

Jiri
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I personally use https://inkscape.org/en/ if needed.
Best regards,
Peke