Finding empty playlists (duplicates or not) for deletion

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

davidbspalding

Finding empty playlists (duplicates or not) for deletion

Post by davidbspalding »

I couldn't find a thread that addressed this so,....

Background: Been a MM user since getting an iPod Classic for Xmas many years ago. It's been my one and only way to manage my over 10,000 tracks of digital music, and adding new ones. Over the course of losing not one but two NAS drives, Mediamonkey has been a savior, restoring all my music from the iPod to a hard drive and then cleaning up organization, to verifying the integrity of a new copy of the entire library of music after restoring to a new network hard drive.

Here's the problem. I created new play lists for those lost on the first hard drive crash (some are custom sequences or arrangements of the albums), both manually and by using an add-on(?). I now have hundreds of Imported Playlists. Great. But now the library has duplicates of most playlists. One playlist is correct, the other is empty. There are hundreds. I can't make time to scroll down to each empty playlist, tap DEL, hit ENTER or tap OK on the confirmation dialog, then scroll to the next. I need to do this as a global find & [action].

Goal: I'd like to simply search for every empty playlist in Find/Advanced Find, to then delete in one action. Advanced find doesn't have a condition to identify tree node playlist with # of tracks < 1 (or = 0). Any ideas? TIA...
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
Lowlander

Re: Finding empty playlists (duplicates or not) for deletion

Post by Lowlander »

There is no search for Playlists, just for files. I'm not aware there is an Addon to clean empty Playlists either. This means that it the only available method right now is to either remove manually or remove all and re-import only the correct ones.
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

Lowlander wrote:There is no search for Playlists, just for files. I'm not aware there is an Addon to clean empty Playlists either. This means that it the only available method right now is to either remove manually or remove all and re-import only the correct ones.
Thanks. That's probably the way to go. Though I think this time around I made play lists right in MM, rather than my old method from prior mobile devices, writing .M3U files in the folders to be copied with the files to a PocketPC, Nokia phone. I think I moved them into \Imported Playlists\ like an idiot. :oops: :roll:
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

Um.... (sigh) There's no way to multi-select leaves (play lists) in the Imported Playlists node.

I seem to recall the last time I had to delete the entire Imported Playlists node and later recreate it. :-? Really? there's gotta be a better way. :roll:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, that is the only way.

The only alternative would be direct SQL on the database.
Peke

Post by Peke »

or write your own script to do that.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts