HDCD Decoding/Ripping support

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Falcon

HDCD Decoding/Ripping support

Post by Falcon »

I got some HDCD discs in my collection, which I yet had to rip with dBpoweramp which supports HDCD decoding and automatically encoding it into 24bit FLACs. Is there any chance that we will get this feature included in MediaMonkey (Gold, if it depends on any license cost)!?
samsmith

Re: HDCD Decoding/Ripping support

Post by samsmith »

Same here - I would love to know that I can rip HDCD into 24-bit FLAC or other lossless format! That and SACD. Does MediaMonkey have any add-ins or plans to support audiophile formats (all kinds)?
Orbi

Post by Orbi »

I agree. I'd like to see full hi-def integration into MM like:
- ability to transcode 24bit on the fly to portable devices only supporting 16bit
- sample size (16bit - 24bit) in the song properties. I'd like sample size to be available in columns and as a filter for playlists.

At the moment, only bitrate and frequency indicate songs are 24bit. The strange thing about frequency, is that it is called Sample Rate in the column and filter.
simonbrads

Post by simonbrads »

Just wanted to add my support for this feature. It's probably about the only major omission, from my point of view.

For me personally, I'd prefer to have my (FLAC) files stored as they appear on the CD, then have MM apply the HDCD processing on-the-fly during playback. (But I suspect it would make sense to implement decode-during-rip and decode-during-playback in the same release.)
hdcd

Post by hdcd »

I agree, MM needs full hi-def integration. We need things like:
- ability to transcode 24bit on the fly to portable devices only supporting 16bit
- sample size (16bit - 24bit) in the song properties. I'd like sample size to be available in columns and as a filter for playlists.
- HDCD support, i.e. options for both decode-during-rip and decode-during-playback.
sunspot42

Post by sunspot42 »

I'd like to see HDCD decoding added, too.
DMF

Post by DMF »

Please add HDCD decoding support (both playback and ripping) to MediaMonkey's official wishlist.
If needed, because of licensing, it could be a paid addon.

edit: please note that this is very important to me, it is my only post (I think) in these 4 years as a member. Indeed, there is only other thing in my wishlist, but I have to search before I create a post about it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
MediaMonkey Gold Lifetime
MediaMonkey AAC/M4A Encoder Plug-in (though not needed anymore because of my move from Symbian to Android)
106402 music files (2.2 TB)
simonbrads

Post by simonbrads »

Any sign of HDCD support yet? All I keep seeing in the new builds is "Added support for new iDevice". Surely, providing the best possible audio reproduction is MediaMonkey's core business. Support for closed-system Apple devices is a nice-to-have for a subset of all users. It should not take priority over MM's core functionality! :-?
Aff

Post by Aff »

HDCD would be nice. There is one good reason for that: some HDCDs use Peak Extension. If supported by the player, dynamic range is increased by 6dB and possible clipping reduced compared to a player that doesn't support it. There is indeed an audible difference if the mastering engineer used compression and (soft-)clipping for non-HDCD players.

But to be honest, there are only very few HDCDs and even fewer that really use Peak Extension (or even any other HDCD function, some are rather fake).
Orbiter

Post by Orbiter »

Another advocate of HDCD support here.
If Foobar can have the option (for free) why not MediaMonkey?

Does anyone know if it is absolutely out of the question or wether its under considertion. Microsoft no longer support HDCD so I cant believe there would be licensing fees involved, especially if the Foobar plug-in is free.
Can the Foobar plug-in be adapted for M Monkey?
progcode

Post by progcode »

Just another voice requesting HDCD support.
Orbiter1

Post by Orbiter1 »

Yet another advocate for inclusion of HDCD decoding. Will it ever come it is still available on plenty of CD's and we cannot use the full capability of this format.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Michael Blair

Post by Michael Blair »

Add me to the list of people who would like to see HDCD functionality added.
FlexFlexerson

Post by FlexFlexerson »

Not sure if there's been an update on this request at all, but I'd echo the request for HDCD decoding supporting, at least in playback for CDs and FLAC files from HDCD format. Right now I believe Foobar2000 has that functionality baked in, so sees like it should be possible for MM.