EQ Not applied at immediate start of track [#14314]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

BLueSS

EQ Not applied at immediate start of track [#14314]

Post by BLueSS »

Phone: Moto g5 plus running android 7.0
MMA version: 1.3.0.0694
Music stored on external SD card.
Listening via 3.5mm or bluetooth - no difference

PROBLEM: EQ in MMA is turned on, with -10dB to all 5 channels.
When skipping a track, sometimes the first .5 seconds or so of the track will play at full volume, without the -10dB.

The -10dB is to counter a problem with this phone, where audio output is extra loud compared to most other Android phones (comparing to Samsungs here).
I need the MMA EQ to be able to lower the volume without hurting my ears when skipping tracks. Either that, or for a way to bypass the MMA EQ and use the Android available EQ instead, that would work...

I can reproduce this easily.
LOG ID: W4TPEJCNN5
Peke

Re: BUG: EQ Not applied at immediate start of track

Post by Peke »

Update to latest MMA 1.3.1.712+ and report back.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
BLueSS

Post by BLueSS »

Peke wrote:Update to latest MMA 1.3.1.712+ and report back.
Thanks for the reply. I applied to the beta builds and confirmed I am able to replicate the issue on 1.3.1.0712.

I uploaded new logs if they will help. W6YMFQDRQ9

Edit: A little additional information. The problem with the EQ is more often applied when I frequently skip several songs in a row or within the first second or two of a song playing. The EQ not taking effect is not tied to any specific set of songs, and randomly happens. I can skip 4 just fine and then the next will happen. Or another 8 and then the next 2 will have the problem.

Thank you.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
BLueSS

Post by BLueSS »

Thanks, Peke. I reviewed the bug notes, and I am able to reproduce this with a wired headset as well; it's not just limited to bluetooth connections.
Peke

Re: EQ Not applied at immediate start of track [#14314]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thx, I can't replicate there were several fixes regarding headphones insert and EQ handling. Unfortunately I hope that it is not one of the Android API limits that can be only solved with standalone EQ we plan to make for MMA 2.0+

Good thing is that we got repro steps correctly.
Best regards,
Peke
BLueSS

Post by BLueSS »

Peke wrote:Hi,
Thx, I can't replicate there were several fixes regarding headphones insert and EQ handling. Unfortunately I hope that it is not one of the Android API limits that can be only solved with standalone EQ we plan to make for MMA 2.0+

Good thing is that we got repro steps correctly.
Hi Peke,

I am following up, as in looking at the bug tickets, they appear to be resolved yet I am still experiencing the same problem with MMA 1.3.1.0732.

Is the issue supposed to be resolved, or is there a different bug I should be tracking?

Thank you!
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

It was resolved as a deplicate of another issue, which in turn was a duplicate of a third issue that is still open [see bugs #11746, #11907] . Essentially, the problem is that there are limitations with the default android equalizer on some devices that can only be fixed by replacing the equalizer entirely with a new one. You can confirm this by replicating the issue with other players that use the Android equalizer as well.

We hope to fix this in the future, but it's not among the top priorities for version 2.0.

-Rusty
BLueSS

Post by BLueSS »

rusty wrote:It was resolved as a deplicate of another issue, which in turn was a duplicate of a third issue that is still open.
Thank you for the explanation, Rusty! Your explanation helped clear this up for me. Sadly it looks like that equalizer replacement ticket has not been worked on for some time; as you said it's not a priority. Is there any chance that the Android equalizer could be fixed? Is there a bug with Google's Android bugtracker for the EQ improvements needed to not have this happen? Or is MMA destined to have to use a different EQ at some point, like other Android audio apps have done, and not rely on the built-in EQ at all?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Is there any chance that the Android equalizer could be fixed? Is there a bug with Google's Android bugtracker for the EQ improvements needed to not have this happen?
iirc, the issue usually occurs on non Nexus/Pixel devices which would indicate that it's a problem with how the Android equalizer is implemented for OEM devices (e.g. Samsung). So I'm not sure whether the issue is with Android or with OEM's implementations.

We will be looking at this again in the future, but I expect that the solution will end up being that MMA has to implement its own equalizer.

-Rusty