Bug with "Album Artists" sort on mobile

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

fancyman.cornwood

Bug with "Album Artists" sort on mobile

Post by fancyman.cornwood »

When using MediaMonkey Pro on my phone, sorting by album artist does not function properly. Rather than grouping by the tag [Album Artist], the app groups by the last listed artist on a given album.

For example, I have an album titled "Best of the Nineties" containing tracks by several different artists. I entered the album artist field for this album to be "Best of the Nineties Artists" and the artist field to be the artist on a particular track. When sorting by album artist on my phone, "Best of the Nineties Artists" is not a category. Instead the entire album is filed under album artist "Will Smith", the artist of the last track on the album. My intention was for the sorting to be - [Album artists]>"Best of the Nineties Artists">"Best of the Nineties">(every track on the album) instead I have - [Album Artists]>"Will Smith">"Best of the Nineties">(every track on the album). Related to this issue is the sorting under the tag [Artist]. The progression I get is - [Artist]>"Will Smith">"Best of the Nineties">(every track on the album) when searching for Will Smith but when I search for Tupac I get - [Artist]>"Tupac">"Best of the Nineties">(the one track by Tupac).

Also, this is in no way an issue on my computer. Album artist tags work fine in this case. In addition, the folder structure on my phone's SD card is identical to that on my computer. To use the above example ... Music/Best of the Nineties Artists/Best of the Nineties/(every track on the album).

TL;DR: My theory is that the album artist tag is replaced by the artist tag for the last track on the album, thus when sorting by album artist, it appears as the artist of the last track and when sorting by artist, singles appear under the correct artist but the entire album appears under the artist of the last track.

Thanks!

Samsung S5 Active
Android Version 4.4.2
MediaMonkey Pro Version 1.1.2.0415
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
nohitter151

Re: Bug with "Album Artists" sort on mobile

Post by nohitter151 »

Works fine for me, did you sync them using MediaMonkey and MMA?

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
fancyman.cornwood

Post by fancyman.cornwood »

No I don't directly sync MediaMonkey and MMA. I connect the SD card directly to my computer and sync MediaMonkey to that. Then I load the SD card and use MMA to scan the card and load in the music. It's a frustrating system but I haven't rooted my device so I can't modify or delete files on the SD card while its loaded on the phone which makes syncing MediaMonkey and MMA impossible. In the future I plan to root it and then maybe a direct sync will solve my problem. However, my brother claims to have the same problem I previously described and he syncs via wifi.

At any rate, the files on my SD card have metadata tags of the album artist so I don't see why I would still get this issue scanning the files with MMA rather than directly syncing. It seems like something is wrong with the way MMA is reading the metadata of the files.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

fancyman.cornwood wrote:No I don't directly sync MediaMonkey and MMA. I connect the SD card directly to my computer and sync MediaMonkey to that. Then I load the SD card and use MMA to scan the card and load in the music. It's a frustrating system but I haven't rooted my device so I can't modify or delete files on the SD card while its loaded on the phone which makes syncing MediaMonkey and MMA impossible. In the future I plan to root it and then maybe a direct sync will solve my problem. However, my brother claims to have the same problem I previously described and he syncs via wifi.

At any rate, the files on my SD card have metadata tags of the album artist so I don't see why I would still get this issue scanning the files with MMA rather than directly syncing. It seems like something is wrong with the way MMA is reading the metadata of the files.
If you don't sync with MMW and MMA then MM has to pull the track metadata from the android media store which doesn't support the album artist field.

See http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... st#p404504
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
devolution

Post by devolution »

I am encountering this issue as well. I connect my phone (HTC One M8) to the computer via USB and then sync from within MMW to the internal storage of the phone by right-clicking on songs (or "All") and selecting "Send to...". I use MMA for the player. Are you saying that this method will not sync the Album Artist field either, and the only way to get that metadata to sync properly is to do it with the MMA sync paid function over wi-fi?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMW and MMA? Are you doing Send To > Device?

[Edit by Rusty] p.s. Syncing via USB should work fine (i.e. no need to pay for the Wi-Fi sync feature).
devolution

Post by devolution »

Lowlander wrote:Which version of MMW and MMA? Are you doing Send To > Device?

[Edit by Rusty] p.s. Syncing via USB should work fine (i.e. no need to pay for the Wi-Fi sync feature).
I'm using whatever the newest versions of those apps are. I do use Send To > Device to do the sync, though I sync to both internal storage and an SD card that way.
rusty

Post by rusty »

I've tested this with a couple of devices and can't replicate the problem you're experiencing. I:

1 Select a compilation album (or tracks on an compilation album), compilation album being defined as an album that has a single Album Artist and different Artists for each track. Note: in my test case there are no multiple-artist tracks.

2 Right-click > Send to: Samsung S5 mini

--> tracks copy to the device

3 On the device, navigate to Artists and Album Artists > Various
--> In 'Tracks' the tracks appear in alphabetic order
--> In Albums > AlbumName, the tracks appear according to track order
In both views, tracks appear with Album Art and ratings metadata

Do you see any differences in steps? When you look at the tracks on the device, do you see artwork and ratings (if not, it means that MMW is syncing to the device but 'doesn't realize' that it's an Android device and is therefore just copying the files without syncing the metadata).

-Rusty