Sync for Car / Sort by Directory

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

iloveaiff

Sync for Car / Sort by Directory

Post by iloveaiff »

My car player is pretty stupid and I like to record lots of radio.

What's the best way to sync radio files by directory so the stupid car player can 'switch stations' by switching directories? Should I use a custom field and somehow encode that with the lowest level directory (e.g. /radio/stationx -> 'stationx') and then somehow encode that as a directory when I sync to a card?

Thanks...
Peke

Re: Sync for Car / Sort by Directory

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I would suggest that you create playlists in MMW named "StationX" and put files from that station to that folder and then
On Sync Profile set Music Destination to something like "\Radio\<Playlist>\<Auto Number>. <Artist> - <Title>" After that only thing you need to do is to select only those playlist to sync and you will end syncing with desired results.

I for example sync only content in desired Playlists to Car HeadUnit and have music file destination mask as "\Music\<Playlist>\<Auto Number>. <Artist> - <Title>"
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
iloveaiff

Post by iloveaiff »

Thanks..

I already have auto playlists for each station so I can use that as the variable..

I even have playlists for three or more stars etc so I have a workflow rating radio tracks on my phone and keeping only ones I like.

So I could create sync directories based on those auto playlists.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes, they would be static on the device in order of the playlist.
Best regards,
Peke
iloveaiff

Post by iloveaiff »

Thanks!

So basically a playlist can be used as a variable to create folders based on that playlist name...

That solves it! So any playlist or auto-playlist can become a hard directory on a sync'd SD card. That's brilliant.

Because most car players are pretty simple (at best) so it's just easiest to use folders as playlists. Then the auto-directory for a radio station becomes the directory on the card - along with any criteria such as 3+ stars or whatever.

Is it possible to sync to a playlist file incase the car player understands this? Unlikely but you never know.
Peke

Post by Peke »

If Track Sort/naming is same then MMW would not sync not needed tracks just new ones.
Best regards,
Peke
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, Playlists can also be synced to the device, there are various options to fine tune how this is done. You may need to fidget with the settings and consult the device maker to get it working (if supported).
iloveaiff

Post by iloveaiff »

Dumb question... Is Sync Profile in the Sync Options? I can't find the specific SD card, so I am stuck trying to set the destination settings for that specific card.

Once set up though I imagine it will be a simple matter of occasionally syncing the card to refresh content.

I only sync 3+ star tracks for some playlists too.

And it sounds SO much better than Bluetooth.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's under Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync (or in the Media Tree when the device is connected via USB).
iloveaiff

Post by iloveaiff »

Thanks...

I can find the card - labelled "CARCARD" in the tree but not in the Portable Device Settings.. I can see how I can set up the profile in there, but it's not appearing.

Is there a way to manually add a specific SD card to the Portable Device Settings?
iloveaiff

Adding a specific SD Card to Portable Device Settings (Profile)

Post by iloveaiff »

I have a SD card specifically for the car. When I pop it in to the monitor SD card reader, it shows in the media tree, but not Portable Device Settings so I can set a specific sync profile i.e. directory format etc.

How do I add a specific SD card to Portable Device Settings so I can create a specific sync profile?

Thanks...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's probably seen as a USB Mass storage: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... e-plug-in/
iloveaiff

Post by iloveaiff »

Thanks! Plug-in installed and now it sees a 'generic USB mass storage device'.

So I suppose I can identify and tailor to the unique device (card) under Portable Device Settings -> USB Mass Storage Device -> 'Device Configuration'? This will then only work for one card, but that's ok (for now).