2111: Organising files from OneDrive

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

JumperJack

2111: Organising files from OneDrive

Post by JumperJack »

Hi! Recently installed the latest build of MM5 to test. I am particularly interested in the new Cloud features, as I already managed to get a 'OneDrive server' working in MM4, though it's a little buggy with multiple users. So, I'll be sure to test out the new MM5 Cloud features in the coming time (on Windows 10).

As I am already using OneDrive to manage my MM4 library, I installed the portable MM5 without copying information from MM4, and subsequently added my OneDrive through the 'Add/Rescan Files to the Library' function. After a short wait, it seems that most of my music was added, but I noticed two things:

— I am unable to select a specific subfolder on my OneDrive. It scans simply everything, while my music is specifically organised in OneDrive\MediaMonkey. In other folders are other types of sound files.

— It seems that all the songs are synced in bulk without any tags, just the filenames. I understand that it is an alpha build, but I was wondering if this is correct. It certainly makes it harder to test, and I probably better try to test MM5 on a specific subset of files (but I cannot, as I cannot select a specific subfolder on OneDrive). Also, my whole MediaMonkey folder on OneDrive is auto-organised by MM4, so all files and folders are organised and tagged, and in MM5 I de-selected the option to download the files to my harddrive.

I'm not sure how much this helps you, but I'll make sure to keep testing the feature.
Ludek

Re: 2111: Organising files from OneDrive

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
to see the tags you would need to copy the music using MM5. It creates metadata database (OneDrive/MediaMonkey/meta_files/...) where it stores all the metadata including custom fields, playcount etc.
It would be very time consuming to download all the files during scan to read the tags directly from individual files.
Workaround for you is to download all the scanned files, in that case the tags are read from the downloaded files.

Re: the folder(s) selection
You are tight, currently you cannot select individual folders to scan. Added as feature request here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14899
Current workaround for you is to go into [Devices & Services > One Drive > Folders > ...] select all fields of the particular folder, right-click > Add to Library
JumperJack

Post by JumperJack »

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for the response, and for adding the subfolder suggestion to the feature requests.

For the first issue, I'm not completely sure what you mean with 'copying the music using MM5'. You mean importing the database from MM4 to MM5?

To give you an idea what I have been aiming for with MM4, and would like to use MM5 for: I'd like to have all my music on OneDrive, and have one PC that is completely synced with OneDrive run my main instance of MM. So on this PC all my music is on my harddrive in my OneDrive folder. Then, on my work PC I would like to be able to connect my second instance of MM to be able to play my music from the cloud (with or without physically downloading it to the harddrive on that PC).

The pro for not downloading it on my second PC, but playing it from the cloud, I think, is being able to maintain my music library on my main PC, and not have syncing errors between two PCs that both have the files saved on harddrives and possibly MM running at the same time (that's my main issue with using MM4 and OneDrive right now). But since I can apparently create a metadata database in MM5 (meta_files), not downloading the music on my second PC should be a viable solution, if I understand correctly.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

For the first issue, I'm not completely sure what you mean with 'copying the music using MM5'. You mean importing the database from MM4 to MM5?
No, I mean setting up OneDrive as sync target in node [Devices & Services] > One Drive , i.e. you can set up sync-list (similarly like in case of device sync) or select a track/playlist and use right-click > Send to > One Drive (synchronize). This way the tracks and playlists will be copied into your OneDrive target including metadata.

Then you can browse (or scan) the OneDrive by another MM5 instance and the instance will see all the metadata (and playlists) while browsing/scanning.