MM Sync Issues with Galaxy S9

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Rakkasan

MM Sync Issues with Galaxy S9

Post by Rakkasan »

Recently upgraded the SD card in this phone to a 256GB Samsung.

Attempting to sync entire library and playlists (~70GB). Files and playlists physically copy over but will not actually play. All tracks and playlist names are shown but "gray out" when attempting to play.

Is this an Android 8, SD Card or MM issue?
Snofru

Re: MM Sync Issues with Galaxy S9

Post by Snofru »

I also have a S9 with 256 GB and syncing runs fine, therefore Android 8 or MM can´t be the problem. I am syncing to internal memory and not SD card though.
What kind of syncing ar you doing? I am syncing over Wifi, not USB.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What File Type(s) and which version of MMA?

Send a debug log (from About) after your attempt to play fails and respond here with the log ID.
Rakkasan

Post by Rakkasan »

Snofru wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:31 am I also have a S9 with 256 GB and syncing runs fine, therefore Android 8 or MM can´t be the problem. I am syncing to internal memory and not SD card though.
What kind of syncing ar you doing? I am syncing over Wifi, not USB.
USB but to SDCard not internal.
Rakkasan

Post by Rakkasan »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:45 am What File Type(s) and which version of MMA?

Send a debug log (from About) after your attempt to play fails and respond here with the log ID.
MP3
Android version 1.3.2.0824
Log ID: 4BSWWXNH5A
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

How did you copy Files and playlists? Did you use USB sync again or did you copy it manually?
The issue is the old sd-card is unmounted, that's why all tracks from this card are grayed.
The automatic relocated process will be implemented in the future by https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14139
The new card has different ID and paths to track starts with this id.
I can see you have included sdcard root folder to the mma library, right? So all tracks from subfolders on sdcard should be scanned and you should see all tracks twice (one grayed from old sdcard and one normal playable from new sdcard), but
I can see in your database that new tracks are not scanned yet and you see grayed tracks only, right?
I guess, the reason is that you have many tracks on sdcard an system media scanner has not updated its database yet.
You can try "Check for new/changed media" in Options or use USB/wifi sync again(recommended - supports more tags like album arts,ratings...).
To remove all grayed tracks from the library you should go to "Options/Choose library folders" and delete grayed sdcard.
Rakkasan

Post by Rakkasan »

martin.bohac wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:18 am How did you copy Files and playlists? Did you use USB sync again or did you copy it manually?
The issue is the old sd-card is unmounted, that's why all tracks from this card are grayed.
The automatic relocated process will be implemented in the future by https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14139
The new card has different ID and paths to track starts with this id.
I can see you have included sdcard root folder to the mma library, right? So all tracks from subfolders on sdcard should be scanned and you should see all tracks twice (one grayed from old sdcard and one normal playable from new sdcard), but
I can see in your database that new tracks are not scanned yet and you see grayed tracks only, right?
I guess, the reason is that you have many tracks on sdcard an system media scanner has not updated its database yet.
You can try "Check for new/changed media" in Options or use USB/wifi sync again(recommended - supports more tags like album arts,ratings...).
To remove all grayed tracks from the library you should go to "Options/Choose library folders" and delete grayed sdcard.
I followed the FAQ approach. "Clean" SD Card in the phone, connect to the computer and "initialize" but do not sync any files. Then remove card, attach to PC using card reader and then sync all files. Place SD Card back into phone.

Phone takes many hours to "scan" (left over night).

End result is all files are grayed out but confirmed they are on the card. Confirmed MM has permissions to card.
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

So after " many hours of scan", duplicate "Not grayed" tracks didn't appear?
Do you have in "Options/General/Choose library folders" any grayed "Sd card"s, can you make a screenshot?
As I said, the ID of SD card changed so all paths to tracks are invalid.
So you should delete "grayed" sdcard from "Options/General/Choose library folders" and repeat sync.
Rakkasan

Post by Rakkasan »

martin.bohac wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:35 pm So after " many hours of scan", duplicate "Not grayed" tracks didn't appear?
Do you have in "Options/General/Choose library folders" any grayed "Sd card"s, can you make a screenshot?
As I said, the ID of SD card changed so all paths to tracks are invalid.
So you should delete "grayed" sdcard from "Options/General/Choose library folders" and repeat sync.
How do I avoid the bad ID for the SDCard?

I've done the delete and resync process a couple of times with the same result.
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Usually, ID change upon sdcard formatting only. Please send me a new Debug log. I will verify what changed and whether ID is same since your last LOG.
Please confirm that you have repeated sync process at least once since the time when you sent 4BSWWXNH5A.
Thanks.
Rakkasan

Post by Rakkasan »

martin.bohac wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:43 pm Usually, ID change upon sdcard formatting only. Please send me a new Debug log. I will verify what changed and whether ID is same since your last LOG.
Please confirm that you have repeated sync process at least once since the time when you sent 4BSWWXNH5A.
Thanks.
How do you recommend I delete the existing/"grayed out" files?

Through Media Monkey somehow or by connecting the SDCard to my PC and deleting via File Explorer?
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

At first, send me your LOG to have your state before sync.
The best way to sync your content with MMW is Wifi Sync("Sync Now"->select MMW server->select SD card-> select content via "Auto-sync server content" in Sync settings). Can you use that?
Rakkasan

Post by Rakkasan »

martin.bohac wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:01 pm At first, send me your LOG to have your state before sync.
The best way to sync your content with MMW is Wifi Sync("Sync Now"->select MMW server->select SD card-> select content via "Auto-sync server content" in Sync settings). Can you use that?
Cannot Sync via WiFi.
  • Phone cannot find server or UPNP device.
    Verified both on same network.
    Windows Firewall disabled.
    network type on PC is private.
    Verified they are in the same IP subnet.
Even after formatting an entirely new SDCard, uninstalling and reinstalling MM on the S9 I STILL see all the old grayed out tracks. Even after removing the SDCard the "ghost" tracks are all still there.

Do you have to set everything up on a brand new phone, SD card and PC all at once?

I've been involved in IT/hardware for 25+ years and this ranks in the Top 10 for horrible interface, non-intuitiveness and plain "just doesn't work".

Newest Log for all the above is GT56PIYK2X
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

There was one issue with MMW UPnP server after awakening from sleep on windows 10, but restarting MMW helped in this case (fixed in MMW build 4.1.22.1876).
Did you try some other UPnP server(e.g WMP) and BubbleUPnP on phone to exclude network issues?

Re interface - we are working on brand new UI to version 2.0.

We are sorry about issues, but it isn't a standard situation. From your log I can see that android system has no parsed media in its library, so I guess that you will not see media also in other media players (except apps with own tag parser). Can you try "Music Google Play" whether there are tracks visible?
If we don't have a possibility to get track metadata from system media library, neither WifiSync then remains to repeat USB sync.
Did you try USB sync with a connected phone over MTP?
Rakkasan

Post by Rakkasan »

martin.bohac wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 am There was one issue with MMW UPnP server after awakening from sleep on windows 10, but restarting MMW helped in this case (fixed in MMW build 4.1.22.1876).
Did you try some other UPnP server(e.g WMP) and BubbleUPnP on phone to exclude network issues?

Re interface - we are working on brand new UI to version 2.0.

We are sorry about issues, but it isn't a standard situation. From your log I can see that android system has no parsed media in its library, so I guess that you will not see media also in other media players (except apps with own tag parser). Can you try "Music Google Play" whether there are tracks visible?
If we don't have a possibility to get track metadata from system media library, neither WifiSync then remains to repeat USB sync.
Did you try USB sync with a connected phone over MTP?
Thank you for all your help.

I originally tried everything via USB, which led me to trying WiFi at your request.

I could see other UPnP servers on the phone (Plex, etc.).

How do I get a "clean" install of MM on the S9, without all the ghost tracks, etc.?

Update: I received my new S9 Note today. Clean install of MM and it also cannot see the MM server on the PC via WiFi.