MMA does not add playlists after I run "Options>Check for new/changed Media"

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Darryl_Gittins

MMA does not add playlists after I run "Options>Check for new/changed Media"

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

I'm having problems adding playlists to my Samsung Edge S7.
When I sync from MMW to MMA, playlists (and ratings) are not updated in MMA.
MMA: V1.3.2.0824
MMW: 4.1.19.1859

The playlists are in SD card>Playlists.
Music is in SD card>Music.
Both locations are listed in MMA "Library Folders" but after I run "Options>Check for new/changed Media", the playlists are not added to MMA although MP3 tracks are added. When I open Playlists from the MM Personalization screen, there are no playlists listed.

The playlists all use a path that resembles the following:

../Music/Dream Pop/Telegram - 10 - Headphones.mp3
../Music/Dream Pop/Bavarian Fruit Bread - 11 - Lose Me On the Way.mp3

The playlists that are automatically generated during the USB sync are named "*.m3u". It's puzzling though that if I manually create a playlist in MMA, the extension is *.pla. Why are they different?

Complete repro:
1. Connected the SSD card directly to my PC and did a USB sync. All songs are successfully added to the SD card. I can see the playlists when I browse with "My Files" app.
2. Insert the SD card into the Android phone and then in MMA, run "Options>Check for new/changed Media". All songs are detected and added but playlist are not.
3. Uninstall MMA then reinstall. Try scanning again, but still no playlists are added.

I did exactly the same thing with my wife's Android Samsung S7 and it worked perfectly.

Another clue: I have one playlist (Test.m3U) that I manually created on the device via the MMA UI. When I try to delete that playlist by using the MMA UI, it hangs the entire phone until MMA crashes. Why can't I even delete a playlist?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Darryl_Gittins

Re: MMA does not add playlists after I run "Options>Check for new/changed Media"

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Sync is seriously broken. After several days of struggling with this, it finally added the playlists to the phone, but the playlists are empty.

And get this: My wife's identical phone worked properly. Playlists are on the phone and populated, but if I connect via USB to the PC and look at the playlists in Windows Explorer, the playlists are empty. Open them in NotePad plus and there's nothing in them. If I do the same with the allegedly empty playlists on my phone (MMA shows them as empty), when I open them with Windows Explorer, I see that they are not empty, they are populated.

Phone 1: MMA shows populated playlists but Notepad on the PC shows them to be empty.
Phone 2: MMA shows empty playlists but Notepad on the PC shows them to be populated.

What on earth are you guys doing with this? None of it works and non of it makes any sense!!
Lowlander

Re: MMA does not add playlists after I run "Options>Check for new/changed Media"

Post by Lowlander »

MMW is outdated (4.1.21 is latest) and there are fixes for sync in the latest betas of MMA and MMW (especially MMW).
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

I did update to the current posted version of MMW and tried again, and I think that change precipitated the playlists actually being copied to MMA, but they are still blank. Should I install the beta? For MMA? MMW? Both?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

At least MMW (but I prefer to use both to match release/fix cycle).
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Thanks, and sorry for more questions but I can't find the download for MMW beta.

all the links I found for beta point to this page:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/PrivateM ... _Debug.exe
But there's no download link there. I'm not prompted with a download package.

I found MediaMonkey_4.1.22.1877.exe here:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 57#p449457

Is that the recommended beta?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, 1877 is the latest beta build: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 54426&sd=d

Not sure where you're finding the first link, but that's for MediaMonkey 5 and should be: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d and is not what I'm suggesting.