MediaMonkey service

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

zalmoxe

MediaMonkey service

Post by zalmoxe »

Hello,

I'd try to keep it simple:

1. MediaMonkey 4.1.23.1881 Gold is running on Windows 10 1809 PC and MM service is stopped.
2. Music files are on an internal HD.
3. Using Windows Media Player, I can browse MMW library and play files.

Now comes the crazy part:

1. MediaMonkey 4.1.23.1881 Gold is closed on the same Windows 1809 PC and MM service is running (there are no problems with logon for the service).
2. Using Windows Media Player, I can browse MMW library.
3. The files won't play.
4. Windows gives me an error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted."

I'd like to mention that my problem is not with WMP - I don't care about it. Since the advent of Windows 10, I have been having problems with playing my files that are on a NAS. Right now I can play them if MMW is running on the PC but not if the service is running (MMW being closed). To isolate the problem and try to troubleshoot it, I bypassed the NAS and made the configuration as described above. that is why I used WMP to brose and see if I have the same problem playing the files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Peke

Re: MediaMonkey service

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This is most likely the problem due the Access credentials.

I have QNAP NAS and my Media Share on NAS is Set read only for Everyone and only few users have Write access.

This setting make MMW work as Service also and files are playable.

NOTE: For me it didn't matter what version of windows is used.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
zalmoxe

Post by zalmoxe »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree it is an access credentials sort of problem however, in the described situation I don't use the NAS.

In this scenario, any client (in my case WMP) can browse and play files from the MMW server if the MMW client is running on the PC and cannot play if the MMW is close and the service is running. Everything - files, library, database and player - are on the local PC, so the NAS doesn't have any relevance.

I only mentioned the NAS because ultimately, this is what I want to troubleshoot.
zalmoxe

Post by zalmoxe »

I guess I am the only one having problems with UPnP/DLNA.

My normal scenario is this:

- Files on the D-Link DNS-320L NAS (not the best NAS, I know - NAS is incapable of creating a share of my music folder, gets stuck at about 12%).
- MM library is set to NAS music folder, using UNC path.
- the player is Pioneer SC 71, where I can see the MM server, browse the library (in both cases, MMW service running or not), but only play files when MMW is open on PC (service not running). This is mirrored on my phone, using MMA app and on an Android box.

Something is blocking access to MMW service. Trying to troubleshoot the problem, I thought I'd eliminate the NAS from the chain, so I created a new library in MMW, using music files from internal HD, with no luck. I went further and eliminated the other link in the chain - Pioneer SC 71 - and tried playing files from MMW library using WMP. Same result, it'll play files only if MMW is open on PC.

In the past (last year), I was able to "solve" the problem when changing the IP address of the AV receiver - suddenly after changing the IP address the files played, but it only lasted a couple of months until something blocked access again (btw, all IP addresses are static). I have no idea what and if it was related to Windows updates or not, thing is it drove my crazy and I grew tired of this. I tried to create a debug log a couple of year ago but my MMW crashed several times, so I gave up.

Right now the only solution is to have MMW running on PC. I don't know if somebody could help, for now I will continue with MMW as it is and hope the release of the new Winamp will end this nightmare.

Thank you
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
zalmoxe wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:30 pm Something is blocking access to MMW service. Trying to troubleshoot the problem, I thought I'd eliminate the NAS from the chain, so I created a new library in MMW, using music files from internal HD, with no luck
That is what I was talking about, You can open Windows services and force starting them as specific user. That should fix the problem.
zalmoxe wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:30 pm Right now the only solution is to have MMW running on PC. I don't know if somebody could help, for now I will continue with MMW as it is and hope the release of the new Winamp will end this nightmare.
Re Winamp: I wish you luck, but it is dead in the water barely floating. Windows 7+ Forces Homegroup and With windows 10 in many cases only way to access LAN is to manually enter IP addresses of non Windows 10. You can search for issues with "LAN Master Browser" and "windows block multicast". Strange is that apron MMW restart packets gets available for some time and then they are blocked once again.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
zalmoxe

Post by zalmoxe »

Hi Peke,

Thank you again for the reply.

I am a 55 years old guy, and although I have been using computers from more than 25 years now, I am not a power user, my knowledge is limited to a bit more than basics.
Peke wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:41 pm
I have QNAP NAS and my Media Share on NAS is Set read only for Everyone and only few users have Write access.

This setting make MMW work as Service also and files are playable.
I am confused, what do you mean by Media Share and where do you set it as read only? In my case there's no other users, no other accounts, so what exactly should I set? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peke wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:05 pm
That is what I was talking about, You can open Windows services and force starting them as specific user. That should fix the problem.
Now I have completely lost you here. I am not sure how to force a service (I guess in Windows) to start as specific user. Right now the MM service is set to log on using my Windows account and related password. Is this what you are suggesting?

Thank you.