Add/Rescan fails to update library

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

kirkent

Add/Rescan fails to update library

Post by kirkent »

In the last few weeks I've run across a new issue...been using MM for years. When I rescan folders on a networked (DLNA) drive it does not add subfolders or files to the library. I've navigated in the tree and expanded the location and I can watch it process the folder and add files but they do not remain in the tree. When I collapse the tree and then re-expand the folders/files are gone. This seem to only affect some folders.

I have performed maintenance to no effect. I have verified the files exist on the drive. I have also verified the file types are included and categories are correct (not that it should affect anything when I'm viewing the library by folder). I also do not have scans set to start with the program or scan continuously.

As an example: I have a folder in location T:\My Video\Bob Newhart\season1\ that has 20 files. The path up to Bob Newhart shows up in the library. When I expand that in the tree and rescan the folder I can see the season1 and the correct files being added to the library. When it is done if I try to access the folder from my TV or XBox it does not show anything under Bob Newhart and when I collapse the tree in MM then expand the tree again the season1 subfolder is gone.

Any help would be appreciated.
Lowlander

Re: Add/Rescan fails to update library

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried the Entire Library Collection (enable under File > Manage Collections) to find the files? You may be in the incorrect Collection.
kirkent

Post by kirkent »

Yes, I have done that. It also does not exclude small files, remove duplicates, etc. When browsing by location I can see the location and I can see the files populate in the location in the tree and once the scan is done they then "self-remove" from the location and do not appear anywhere else in the library.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So Entire Library > Location fails to show the files after scanning?

Are you scanning from the DLNA Server or from the File Server? The latter seems to be the case based on the Path you mentioned. Does that mean you're using a Mapped Drive for a network location? Also which version of MediaMonkey?

Is Tools > Options > Auto-Organize disabled or at least not active on these type of files (files should remain in original location after scanning as seen in Explorer)?
kirkent

Post by kirkent »

Yes, I am scanning a mapped drive to a NAS device attached to my wireless router. I scan from the network folder mapped as a drive locally. Auto Organize has never been enabled for exactly this reason...I use the location to navigate to everything in MM as well as when using DLNA.

I just discovered that the files are being added to the library but do not show in the tree under location (which is the only navigable way to watch my large library using the DLNA server).

(I hope I can describe this well enough...here is what is happening from what I just discovered) I have a location tree something like
T:\My Video\Bob Newhart\Season 1\
T:\My Video\Bob Newhart\Season 2\
T:\My Music\Some Artist\Album\etc.

I typically only rescan folders/sub folders where I have added/removed content. Adding files to a sub folder that is populated doesn't seem to have a problem...the new file will show up in the existing sub folder although I haven't done this a lot so it may have a problem.

When I look in the library tree under the Newhart items (for example) it will only show one subfolder and 1 file in that subfolder. When I rescan the location the files/sub folders show up then immediately are removed from the location tree when the scan completes. In the MM tree however, there is a folder for "All". If I look under that one I see the missing files, so they are in the library but the library is not populated correctly under the tree.

Here is specifically how it behaves:
Click Bob Newhart and make sure folder is checked, press insert, press OK...MM rescans entire subfolder structure but nothing populates in the location tree.
Click Bob Newhart, uncheck Bob Newhart and then check all 6 sub folders, press OK...MMM rescans and adds the sub folders but no files. rescan season 1 with the sub folder selected in MM and I can watch the files populate under the location and everything looks fine for season 1. As soon as I collapse the tree in the left pane the season 1 subfolder and files disappear from the tree. the files remain in the library under All.

This is a problem because I use the UPnP/DLNA to watch these shows throughout my house and if I browse "All" it is impossible to navigate all the files. If I browse by folder the files are not populated so I cannot access them.

I have checked the categories for the files and everything looks correct. File 1 that populates has exactly the same properties as file 2 that does not populate in the tree correctly. Again, this started happening a few days ago and affects new content as well as old and I can't find a cause. The newhart folder is old and I did not originally rescan that folder...the files just disappeared from the tree but exist under All. One new folder I added does not populate while another I added does. There doesn't seem to be a pattern...it seems to be random although I'm sure there's some specific commonality that I can't see. I have also tried rescanning the entire library which takes forever and does not have any effect.
kirkent

Post by kirkent »

...and the version is 4.1.17.1840
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked.

Latest is 4.1.23: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... f=3&t=8811
kirkent

Post by kirkent »

I noted that I did that in my original post. I've actually tried that multiple times. No effect.

I just did an additional experiment and copied (not moved) one of the offending folders and rescanned it in the root of the drive and it shows correctly. I'm guessing this indicates my library file may be corrupting? Those folder sections that are not remaining populated are somehow messed up in the physical library file?
kirkent

Post by kirkent »

Did some more experimenting and found a workaround:

Rename the physical folder on the drive (i.e. Bob Newhart -> Bob Newhart1)
Remove Bob newhart folder from library (just folder and content, no files deleted)
Rescan Bob Newhart1...everything populates correctly

I then repeated the process, renaming the folder back to Bob Newhart and the problem recurs. Interesting. I can rename the irritating folders and access my content so this will work...but there's an issue here. I'd still like a real solution.

When I have more time I may backup my database and clear the library and then try rescanning the whole thing from scratch...that will be painful.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture a failed scan in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=69
kirkent

Post by kirkent »

I submitted the debug log.
kirkent

Post by kirkent »

I believe I have found a fix for this issue:
Assuming:
T:\My Video\Bob Newhart\ <original bad content that won't show correctly in Location tree>
T:\My Video\Bob Newhart1\ <renamed network folder rescanned that shows correctly in Location tree>

1. Navigate in left pane to the Video folder and select All
2. Scroll to the original bad content (T:\My Video\Bob Newhart)
3. Right click and delete the content from Library and Computer (files are now in renamed folder so nothing is actually deleted from the drive)
4. Refresh the tree and verify the bad folder is now gone in Location and files are gone from \My Video\All
5. In Windows rename T:\My Video\Bob Newhart1 back to T:\My Video\Bob Newhart
6. Rescan the folder in MM
7. Verify the rescanned folder now shows correctly
8. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for T:\My Video\Bob Newhart1
9. Verify and repeat for other bad folders

Still don't know what caused this.