Question: The date tags and their content

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

BMF

Question: The date tags and their content

Post by BMF »

MM5 offers two different fields for date information. These are "date" and "original date". To be found in the properties dialogue on the basic tab.

What are the corresponding tags in the id3 language? When i examine the id3tag conventions there are several tags through the history from id3tag v2.2 to id3tag v2.4:

(in the following overview the first entry in the line are the tags' names from v 2.4 followed by 2.2 and 2.3)

TDOR Original release time · 'TOR' OriginalReleaseYear · TORY' OriginalReleaseYear
TDRC Recording time · TRD' RecordingDates · 'TRDA' RecordingDates
TDRL Release time · TYE' Year or TDA Date · 'TDAT' Date

As we can see there are 3 different types of information possible and i think for the more serious music collector all three of them are of importance. Be it rock or pop music, be it classical or jazz.
  • When was the track recorded
  • when was it published for the first time and
  • what is the date of the current release
So which information do you use in the MM5 fields? And can you imagine to add the third one too to make the set complete?

greetings

bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
MiPi

Re: Question: The date tags and their content

Post by MiPi »

Original date is read from and written to TDOR and TORY.
Date is read from and written to TDRC, TDAT and TYER. It can be adjusted by entries in INI file, it was discussed and resolved long ago in issue 4078. Current solution is result of this.
As i see, TDRL is not used now.
BMF

Re: Question: The date tags and their content

Post by BMF »

Thnak you MiPi for explaining it. It will help to organize my collection in a better way.

regarding the lacking TDRL ... just think about it :-)
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos