HDCD Decoding/Ripping support

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: HDCD Decoding/Ripping support

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately till now I have not ever seen and HDCD nor WAV Files Ripped from HDCDs to test and play with.

If you have one please Send me DL link in PM and I can check what can be done?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Nigel Bennett

Re: HDCD Decoding

Post by Nigel Bennett »

Hi, I am interested in having HDCD playback from some FLAC files I have that are encoded with HDCD. I note that you have asked for some files from users so you can test compatibility. Have you received any yet as I have some FLAC files I can send you. If you still need please let me know where I can attach.

Thanks,
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You can use and cloud or file sharing service to send me Download link in PM, but MMW already support FLAC files, so I would be more interested in native HDCD file format than FLAC.

For Example Dolby Atmos in handled with third party app license on latest Win 10 versions. I wonder if similar case is with HDCD and thus need for native file.
Best regards,
Peke
feline1

Post by feline1 »

I realised today that I own a Roxy Music CD that is a 'HDCD' (I have owned it for years and not noticed :lol: I had to look up on wikipedia what it was!)

The one I have is this one https://www.discogs.com/Roxy-Music-Viva ... se/1422434
As you can see on Discogs, they can be bought second-hand for trivial amounts of money...

It would be cool if MediaMonkey could natively rip such CDs to 24bit FLAC :)
jazzfreek

Post by jazzfreek »

I also have many 24 bit Flac-HD files that I am wondering about. MM plays the file, but is it decoding the 24 bits or changing it first to 16 bits. I may be mistaken, but you need a BD player to decode 24 bit files, and you can't write 24 bit FLAC-HD files to a CD. My guess is you would need a BD disc? Perhaps a DVD? I know that when I record a CD from 24 bit FLAC-HD files it works just fine, but I'm sure they are being transferred into 16 bits first. I can listen to these files on the VLC player and it decodes them just fine. I really haven't been able to find much info on what MM is actually doing to these files when I play them. Any help or corrections to my assumptions would be great!
Nigel Bennett

Post by Nigel Bennett »

HDCD is encoded onto standard 16Bit CDs and on replay using an HDCD decoder it can reproduce information equivalent to 20 bits maximum. I have Flac files ripped from CDs which have the HDCD enhancement however Mediamonkey cannot decode the additional information. I am happy to send a Flac encoded file to Admin or even a hardcopy CD. I have never had the need to use cloud as I see this as another potential security risk.
If Admin can give me an email address with the ability to attach a file or indeed a postal address where I can send HDCD CD I can do so?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I have checked some of CDs listed here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hdcd-list.65414/ please note that newer laptops do not even have CD drive and 99% of those CDs can be hound in HiRes FLAC. Those that don't and you own is possible to rip somehow and MMW can manage those files perfectly.

There are even rumors that newer drives can't even decode HDCD and Decoder as removed from chips to cut cost.
Best regards,
Peke