Why does scanning take so long?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

paulrhyan

Why does scanning take so long?

Post by paulrhyan »

I don't know if I'm in the right section since I DO NOT HAVE ISSUES WITH SYNC. My issue is with the length of time a scan takes.

My device is a new OnePlus 6T. I am utilizing the MTP protocol. I am running the stock OxygenOS that has not been rooted or modified. I only have a couple non-stock apps installed (Poweramp, Chase banking app, Pandora, and Waze)

I am running Windows 7 64bit on a HP desktop that is running an Intel i5 3.2GHz processor with 6GB RAM

I am using MMW v4.1.20.1864

The ONLY media I have on the phone and in my MMW library is MP3 music with average length tracks. Basically I'll buy an album in MP3 format from an online source (mostly amazon) and add it to my library. There are no audio books and no video.

I usually open MMW first then connect my 6T to the USB. Windows will see the 6T within 1 second and I'll have access to it through Windows Explorer right away. After a second or two, MMW will see it and the 6T will appear in the tree on the left as: ONEPLUS A6013 (scanning...).

This scan will take more than 100 minutes (or two episodes of The Simpsons and two episodes of The Big Bang Theory [without commercials]). Sometimes the scan will surpass two hours. I have roughly 29,000 songs with meticulously organized ID3v2 Tags. MMW does this scan every time I reconnect the 6T.

I have read a few threads (mostly 5 - 7 years old) from users having similar issues but I have not found any real solutions and certainly no current information for newer devices. One thread, from 2013, I quickly read through mentioned that Windows only scans the files while MMW scans files AND ID3 tags. If this is true then I can certainly understand why it would take so long. When the device had no media, the scan took barely 60 seconds. Now that I have most of my library on it, the scan takes considerably longer. I do not believe this is limited only to MMW as I was using the most current version of Winamp and scanning took at least as long there also. From what I can tell the MTP protocol is also a bottleneck due to speed limitations.

Here is my question: What are my options? Is there a plug-in/add-on for MMW that will speed this process? I would consider purchasing MMA only if it is a known resolution for this issue. Since the 6T does not use a SD card, removing the media and scanning/syncing just the card is not an option. Everything has to be stored on the 6T. Delegating two hours or more of my day to this process every time I buy a new album is not an acceptable solution either. For that I’ll just transfer new files through windows.

Thanks in advance to the MM community and forum for any help.
Lowlander

Re: Why does scanning take so long?

Post by Lowlander »

First, try updating to the latest release: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... f=3&t=8811

Does it only happen when you add new music to the device directly, or is scanning also slow if you haven't added new files to the device since last sync?

PS. Scanning on connection can be disabled (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync), but will still happen when interacting/syncing with the device in MediaMonkey.
paulrhyan

Post by paulrhyan »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:01 pm Does it only happen when you add new music to the device directly, or is scanning also slow if you haven't added new files to the device since last sync?
MediaMonkey.
It is always slow. The more music there is the longer it takes to scan.

Lowlander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:01 pm PS. Scanning on connection can be disabled (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync), but will still happen when interacting/syncing with the device in MediaMonkey.
Aware of that. I only connect the 6T when I want to add new files so 'disabling' scanning won't help me much.

I would also like to mention that I had the same problem with my Galaxy S7. The more music there is on the device the longer it takes to scan.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you update MMW and how many files are you talking about?
paulrhyan

Post by paulrhyan »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:46 pm Did you update MMW and how many files are you talking about?
Yes and 29,299 files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's a lot of files. You can capture the scanning in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket so developers can look at this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69
paulrhyan

Post by paulrhyan »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:39 pm That's a lot of files. You can capture the scanning in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket so developers can look at this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69
I appreciate your attention regarding this matter but I'll probably just walk away from this. Most of the threads I've read stated that either a debug log came back empty because the scan finished without errors or that this is a 'known issue' but there isn't much that can be done because it isn't the fault of MMW. It is just something that happens when MMW encounters a large library on a MTP device. Besides, I work between 65 & 75 hrs./wk. right now so trying to set aside two hours to run a scan/debug log just isn't in the cards right now.

I only started the thread to see if somebody has figured a work around or if there was a way to add music without having to run the scan. Please don't close this thread yet as I am looking at other options and if they prove effective I would like to share with the group. Thank you again for your help.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The solution is to install MMA (MediaMoonkey for Andorid) on the device. This way the content will be read from the device database (and not by scanning each directory)
paulrhyan

Post by paulrhyan »

Ludek wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:01 am The solution is to install MMA (MediaMoonkey for Andorid) on the device. This way the content will be read from the device database (and not by scanning each directory)
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK! YOU!

Yes I know I'm shouting but I can't help it. I downloaded MMA for my 6T and it scanned my library which took almost two hours. When it was done I connected my phone to the PC and started MMW and the scan took seconds. I haven't sent anything to the 6T yet but right now I'm quite happy. This evening I'm going to go MM-PRO. It'll be the best $5.50 I'll spend all month. The only thing that I need to do now is figure out why most of my library shows as duplicates within MMA.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Check properties, and see if both duplicates play. It is very possible that tracks are duplicated due the fact they are not recognized as already synced.

After you have all setup you will see the benefit of WiFi sync where you connect phone on WiFi where you PC with MMW sits started and simply press Sync to get new tracks on phone without even going to PC.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts