"The media transfer process appears to be frozen" [#15332]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

teodore

"The media transfer process appears to be frozen" [#15332]

Post by teodore »

Hi

Today a lot of trouble, i've seen. Impossible to work with mm5.

"One of this day", https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VSlZFS ... sp=sharing

Yet it doesn't freeze outside, and I can stand not to put on heat.

Freeze without message. Local or docked hard disks work for other applications.

I will reinstall MM5.
Last edited by teodore on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 i7 8 Go - topping d30 - sansui au-222
Lyrics : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 0&p=448074
teodore

Re: "The media transfer process appears to be frozen"

Post by teodore »

As MM4 had the same problem, I deduced that it was a disk integrity problem where the portable program and database were installed.
After a reboot and a scandisq, the problem no longer exists.

How MM5 can warn of this and prevent freezing, that's my only suggestion now!
Thank you for your attention
Windows 10 i7 8 Go - topping d30 - sansui au-222
Lyrics : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 0&p=448074
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Problem is Windows 10 handle external disk as a device ... did you tried latest build ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
To add to Petr note above, problem is that Windows do not report SMART parameters from External drives as SMART warnings are usually read by BIOS on PC boot.

There are apps that monitor HDD health in Real Time but even then usually there are some issues like yours preceding failure that are observed in normal behavior before SMART starts to report imminent failures.

Image © Quantum Corporation Linked from HDDLife
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, this issue has been fixed in the latest build 2149 as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15332

Can you confirm that it no longer appears in 2149 ?
ITgreybeard

Re: "The media transfer process appears to be frozen" [#15332]

Post by ITgreybeard »

Even if "solved", the question remains why MediaMonkey is interrogating all connected data storage, if I have not requested MM to do that. MM runs here on a local private server that backs up LAN computers to a set of external drives. MM should not bother with those backup drives nor with any mapped network drives, unless and until I have requested and authorized it to do so. Is there a method to tell MM to conform to those principles?
ITgreybeard : MM Lifetime Gold on Win10Pro, always the latest production release unless noted otherwise. My carryaround is an AMD-based Lenovo Yoga 6 w 8c/16t, 16GB mem and .5 TB ssd. NAS is an Intel-based Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen3 with 4c/8t, 16GB mem and .5TB ssd running Win10Pro, with many storage volumes (40TB) attached via Thunderbolt 3. Other towers and laptops can chime in as called for.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The issue is that starting from Window 8 all external HDDs are presented as portable devices in Windows. You can also see them in 'Windows Media Player' -- they are there as portable devices. MM uses the same method for detecting the portable device list.

Anyhow MM has a workaround how to detect that such a "portable device" is in fact HDD and disables the profile by default.
So I suppose you see them in the 'Devices & Services' node, but the profiles are disabled and thus MM isn't interacting with them by default, and not scan their content.

To verify: go to 'Devices & Services' node, next to the Devices heading click (show all), it will expand to the list of all detected devices and you should find your HDDs as disabled, isn't it? If not, you can disable them via the three dots menu.
ITgreybeard

Post by ITgreybeard »

That's great news, Ludek, thank you. But I am finding that perhaps my ignorance is also affecting my intelligence. Am I going to see the "Devices and Services" node among the collections on MM 4.1.23.1881, or is there another path to it?
ITgreybeard : MM Lifetime Gold on Win10Pro, always the latest production release unless noted otherwise. My carryaround is an AMD-based Lenovo Yoga 6 w 8c/16t, 16GB mem and .5 TB ssd. NAS is an Intel-based Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen3 with 4c/8t, 16GB mem and .5TB ssd running Win10Pro, with many storage volumes (40TB) attached via Thunderbolt 3. Other towers and laptops can chime in as called for.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

We are on MM5 forum so I was referring the node in MM5, see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt8nqjubs61sa ... 2.png?dl=0

In MM4 the list is in Options > Portable Device Sync and the 'Show' column corresponds to the "disabled state" in MM5
ITgreybeard

Post by ITgreybeard »

Thank you - for both pieces of information, and for the kind way of imparting them. I have unchecked the "Sync" box for the relevant drives, and I do now recognize that this forum is for MM5 only. So indeed my intelligence has slipped a notch.

Thanks for your work on making this a stellar product. MI