Why is 'Unknown artist' being added to my tags!?

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

paulrhyan

Why is 'Unknown artist' being added to my tags!?

Post by paulrhyan »

Before I started using MMW/MMA I was using ID3Tagit to manage my collection. ID3Tagit utilizes <Artist> tag but does not use <Album Artist> tag (at least I've never seen an available entry for it). To me <Album Artist> is a redundant tag that I don't really want to use. All of my music (all MP3 flies) has something in the <Artist> field. On the computer, where my library is stored, none of the files utilize the <Album Artist> tag. The field is empty on every track. Here is the problem: when I add music from the PC to my phone, the <Album Artist> tag is automatically filled with 'Unknown artist' (sic).

Why does this field get populated? How do I stop this from happening?

On a related note, here is something else I've noticed. It creates duplicate entries in MMA. I've seen several complaints on the forums about duplicate entries in user's MMA libraries. Could this be part of the problem?

I am using MMW v4.1.20.1864 and MMA v1.3.3.0842

EDIT: I feel it is important to mention that when I sent over the files (these were just some test files) I used 'Send To' by right-clicking the files and hovering over 'Send To' and choosing my phone from the fly-out list. I chose this method opposed to 'Sync' because I only wanted a few test files to be sent to the phone. Hope this helps.

Another EDIT: This problem persists if I choose to 'Sync' or 'Auto-Sync'. On the phone the files are supposed to be stored in the ...\Music\Artist\Album\## - Track directory. However, everything I manually add or sync ends up in the ...\Music\Unknown\Album\## - Track directory.

<tongueincheek>please answer quickly because my problem is more important than anybody elses.</tongueincheek>
Peke

Re: Why is 'Unknown artist' being added to my tags!?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Album artist is filled with unknown only if Album field is existing. In MMA you can easily customize Home screen and instead "Artist & Album Artist" You add only "Artist" Browser.

Reason for that is Compilation Albums, Duet Albums, Tribunes, Classical Music ... can actually contain Album Artists that is different than track Artist which makes things less mess and easier to find.

If you have any other suggestion to improve that, feel free to present.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
paulrhyan

Re: Why is 'Unknown artist' being added to my tags!?

Post by paulrhyan »

Peke wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:49 am Hi,
Album artist is filled with unknown only if Album field is existing. In MMA you can easily customize Home screen and instead "Artist & Album Artist" You add only "Artist" Browser.

Reason for that is Compilation Albums, Duet Albums, Tribunes, Classical Music ... can actually contain Album Artists that is different than track Artist which makes things less mess and easier to find.

If you have any other suggestion to improve that, feel free to present.
The problem was, I didn't want the <Album Artist> field to be filled. When It gets filled with 'Unknown artist' then MMA gets the entire library screwed up because of how it syncs the library on my phone. I found a setting that had a typo and now that I fixed it, the library gets synced the way I want it. At some point though, the <Album Artist> field does get populated with what is in the <Artist> field. This isn't exactly what I wanted but since my library is working properly, I can live with it.

Now I'm off to start a thread to figure out why I'm getting duplicate entries on my MMA library.