Couple of bugs [#15589]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Richard127

Couple of bugs [#15589]

Post by Richard127 »

Well. Very impressed so far. It pretty much has everything I need or wanted. Loving the experience so far, but here are a couple of things I've had problems with:

1) I like to have album art full depth of the App, taking up the left side of the screen. This can be done, but, when MM is closed and reopened the album art takes up just a tiny part of the top of the album art panel and, if looking at details, for instance, you get a scroll bar. Underneath the now tiny album art is a blank gap that seems to be acting as a panel - but no such panel exists. MM just seems to think there's one there. If I actually put any panel (such as lyrics) under the album art panel there are no problems.

2) Viewing the sound bar visualisation often crashes the app. It seems to appear in the album art panel but only half (width) of it shows.

3) Starting MM5 automatically brings up MM4 as well, maxing out my CPU. Only way to use/test MM5 is to constantly shut MM4.

Windows 10 Home 1809 OS Build 17763.379
MM 5.0.0.2167 (Portable) Running on PC C: Drive, Top level in "Portable Installations" folder.

Image for problem 1) above:
MiPi

Re: Couple of bugs

Post by MiPi »

Hi. We will look at it, thanks.

Re 2) did you send some crash report? Do you know its ID? Do you know some exact steps, how to cause the crash? Is it related only to some kind of visualization?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, it is nice to hear that you are impressed and that MM5 has everything you need or wanted ;-)

1) Thanks, I see, there needs to be at least one component below the 'Art & Details' so that it stays enlarged.
This will be fixed, until then the workaround is to add a component like 'Lyrics' below it, but keep it disabled in Options.

See:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aq7uk4nd7fpt7 ... 1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqz6gleq0ujlf ... 0.png?dl=0

2) I cannot replicate, did MM5 generate a crash log that you submitted? If not, could you please generate standard debug log using the DbgView, it is item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643 ?

3) Which way you auto-run MM4/MM5 ? Do you mean from file explorer or automatically after Windows startup?
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

Hi. Great news about problem 1).

Regarding the crash when using the visualiser, I have found that it produces a blank screen on second use which can be removed with the escape key. Please see images in further post below.

Problem 3 is really annoying. MM5 is a portable installation completely within its own folder. I haven't tried to install any add-ons at all and it is looking at a totally different music folder on a different drive. There should be no link to MM4 at all. When I run MM5, after a few minutes, MM4 will boot. If I close it, it just reappears a couple of minutes later. Interestingly, MM4 sometimes re-boots on it's own after closing (only once in a while though). Although I have upgraded to Win 10 and this behaviour happened on both W7 and W10, it wasn't a clean install, so guess something could be hiding somewhere in a setting or registry entry?

Thanks for a great looking program that I am really excited about seeing the final product. Also thanks for the quick reply.

RH.
Last edited by Richard127 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

Here are a couple of screen grabs for Visualisation problem (I have realised, it doesn't crash MM5, it just displays a blank window, which I found I could get rid of with the escape key).

First Image which happens after a fresh boot of MM5 and first use of any visualiser... Basically, the visualiser is underneath the Album view. I can pull it across to the right to see more of the Visualiser, but I assume it should either be in full screen or in it's own window?

Second Image. This happens after closing the visualisation and re-starting. It won't come back until re-booting MM5 and then only works first time again.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Richard127 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 pm Problem 3 is really annoying. MM5 is a portable installation completely within its own folder. I haven't tried to install any add-ons at all and it is looking at a totally different music folder on a different drive. There should be no link to MM4 at all. When I run MM5, after a few minutes, MM4 will boot. If I close it, it just reappears a couple of minutes later. Interestingly, MM4 sometimes re-boots on it's own after closing (only once in a while though). Although I have upgraded to Win 10 and this behaviour happened on both W7 and W10, it wasn't a clean install, so guess something could be hiding somewhere in a setting or registry entry?
Could it be an auto-play handler registered for MM4? e.g. inserting a device / SD card / audio CD could launch MM4 then.
Check auto-play handlers here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkcepzmzubgsk ... 0.png?dl=0
Or go to MM4 > Options > OS registration and uncheck the auto-play handlers there.
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

Thanks Ludek but I have decided to uninstall MM4 and switch to MM5, despite the few bugs. I have kept the album database and it loaded into MM5 really quickly and seamlessly. Pretty good for a 90,000+ track list. If I install MM4 again, I will take your advice - Thanks.

Regarding the visualiser, I have done some diagnostic work and have found the following, hope it helps...

When I uninstalled the portable version and did a full install, the visualiser re-appeared as it should in the album view window in perfect proportion to that window. This remained the case when I expanded the artwork view to the full left-hand side of the screen, as is my preference. Intuitively, I double clicked the window with the visualiser running and I got the blank screen as shown in img 2 in my earlier post. Pressing escape got me back to the situation of img 1, with half the visualisation obscured by the album list.

After that, any clicking of "View Visualization" from the view menu will produce the blank screen and no way to get back to the windowed visualization without restarting MM5.

Using the screen controls for the visualizer (The option icons for windowed or full screen and the tiny little cross in the top right of the vis window) Cause different problems. Once I have the visualization working in a window, closing it removes the whole left-hand panel, even though it says it is there in the configure options. The icon on the top bar for viewing left panel is not present. Again, I have to re-start MM5.

Basically, I can only view the Visualiser by clicking on visualiser in the view menu and can only close it the same way. Any other way causes problems. I have never, under any circumstances or at any time, been able to get it running full screen. Any attempt to do so will require a re-start of MM5
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

The problem with visualization is caused by moving the Art&Details panel to the left side, reproduced, thanks. Tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15589
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

That's great. Always happy when it can be reproduced and I know it's not something stupid I'm doing :-)

Whilst I'm here: In the column browser sub menu, when I add the column "Added", it lists the latest items at the bottom of the list (reverse order). Can this either be changed (as it was in MM4) or could users be given the choice of reversing the order of those columns?

Thanks for all the great work. It's been worth the wait.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

You're right, Added column was in reverse order in MM4, will be fixed in the next build.
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

As of V.2173, I am still having problems with this, although you report it as being fixed (error 15589). The album view panel is obscuring the right hand side when Viz is on left panel. I do, however, have access to the "minimize" icon for the visualisation, unlike before (although it doesn't appear in screen-grabs). So I don't have to quit out and restart. One thing I didn't mention before is I have 2 screens (MM displaying on main screen - screen 1), but I have disabled 2nd screen and it didn't make any difference. See image below:

Also, still require at least one other panel below album art panel (whether on left or right) to avoid Album Art becoming too small at the top of the screen after re-boot.

Many thanks.

MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Right, reopened. Thanks.
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

Hi. Fantastic work on the bugs. MM5 is stable enough for me now to be used as my main media player. However...

1) Artwork panel still requires at least one other panel below it for it to remain at selected size after re-start.
2) Using "View/Configure Layout" panel always regresses to "Default" as the active layout. Both immediately after leaving and returning to the panel and after re-start.
Peke

Re: Couple of bugs [#15589]

Post by Peke »

Reopened.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
PetrCBR

Re: Couple of bugs [#15589]

Post by PetrCBR »

I'm not sure i understand item 2 ? In options you just configure layouts (with live preview), but when you close Options it will apply current layout. Selecting layout in options will not make it as current.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643