[SOLVED] selection & pasting of text BROKEN

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

landoncurry7648

[SOLVED] selection & pasting of text BROKEN

Post by landoncurry7648 »

This applies to the text boxes on the Properties sheet except for the Comments box:

When selecting text and choosing Cut Paste etc ALL of the text in the box is selected
When pasting text, it is pasted over the text in the entire box, not just the part that is selected

I encountered this problem around the same time as my last tech support incident.

Twice I thought the problem was fixed, but it was only temporary:
once when I was reinstalling various builds of MM as per instructions from you guys, and a second time with the brand new version of MM: The problem went away the first day after those reinstalls (but not all reinstalls), but then it came back permanently.

I do a lot of editing, and this has become a major pain in the ass
Thanks
Lowlander

Re: selection & pasting of text BROKEN

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and are you using the skinned or unskinned version?

I'm unable to reproduce, or at least from what I understand your steps to be.
lcurry

Post by lcurry »

I am seeking to use MediaMonkey_4.1.24.1883
however I cannot seem to install over 4.1.19. Twice now, I have installed .24 yet the Help/About tab shows .19 running

Perhaps I do not have the correct installation file. The size of MediaMonkey_4.1.24.1883.exe
that I am trying to install: 15.4 MB (16,249,000 bytes)

When I go to select something in a text box on the Properties sheet, for example with:
The Beatles with Billy Preston
selecting "with Billy Preston" highlights this selection; right clicking to then cut or copy the selected text causes the whole of the text in the box to go dim (rather than highlighted). When then cut or copied, ALL of this text is held in memory for pasting, not just the text originally selected.
So the whole of "The Beatles with Billy Preston" is cut or held in memory, not just "with Billy Preston"

I have a skin running normally. I turned this off when attempting the most recent installation. The problem persisted.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try downloading again: https://www.mediamonkey.com/MediaMonkey_Setup.exe

If you Cut the text would disappear, not go dim. It worked fine for me when trying this with the Artist field in the Music Collection.
lcurry

Post by lcurry »

reinstall was successful
problem is solved
will see for how long this time...

I will try better to explain my problem if I need to follow up with this
Thanks
lcurry

Post by lcurry »

spoke too soon. closed and reopened MM and problem recurred

I go to the artist text box and select part of the text there. this selection is highlighted. WHEN I RIGHT CLICK, THE WHOLE OF THE TEXT IN THE BOX GRAYS OUT as the context menu pops up

If then I select CUT from this menu, the entire line is cut, not the part originally selected & highlighted

If then I select COPY from this menu, the entire line is copied

Another manifestation of this is when trying to paste something onto the end of a line in a text box.
The paste always replaces everything in the text box rather than inserting text at the cursor location

Thanks for your help
lcurry

Post by lcurry »

I CAN select a spot in a line of text and type in edits or use backspace and other such keys

I CANNOT cut or paste properly except in the Comments box
lcurry

Post by lcurry »

this is very strange to me, but I seem to have reverted again to MM 4.1.19 (this is now the 3rd flawed attempt to install MM 4.1.24)
I am initially letting install open MM when finished. I see that 4.1.21 is running. I then see that the editing problem is solved. After the first restart the old version 4.1.19 is back and so is the editing problem.

Yikes
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Perhaps you have multiple installs of MediaMonkey on your system and the icon you click to start MediaMonkey links to an older install or you have backup software reverting things to before the install?
lcurry

Post by lcurry »

you're right
I had a few installs of MM from the troubleshooting efforts for my last crisis. I cleared all this out and created a new start icon. Seems 4.1.24 is now reliably installed and so far, my editing problems are gone

Thanks