Sudden Volume Jumps At The Beginning Of Songs? [#16629]

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Boy_Narf

Sudden Volume Jumps At The Beginning Of Songs? [#16629]

Post by Boy_Narf »

Hello Everyone,

I've been using MM for years now, and just moved from GMusic to MM on Android. My problem is that I'm getting sudden volume jumps at the very beginning of songs, like a blast of max volume, then back down to the level I had it set at. If I restart the song, it doesn't happen again. Seems to be completely random. My thought is that the "level volume" feature has an issue. I have all of my track volumes "analysed". Any advice would be great. I've got mild tinnitus and these random bursts are extremely painful, especially when using earbuds.

Thanks,
Lowlander

Re: Sudden Volume Jumps At The Beginning Of Songs?

Post by Lowlander »

Does it stop when you disable volume leveling from the Options?
Boy_Narf

Post by Boy_Narf »

So I've done a bit of testing. I thought it might have been the song gap setting, as I first noticed it when I switched to cross-fade beta. Turns out regardless of gap setting it is indeed the auto volume setting. I even tried to disable the song gap thinking it might give the app more time to adjust the volume before playing but no, volume blasts are still present. Any suggestions? I don't think it's the songs themselves as trying to reproduce the volume jump is never successful with the same song. It seems that the auto volume algorithm is playing the track before it completes the volume adjustment.
Last edited by Boy_Narf on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What file type(s) are affected, which software calculated the volume for the files and which version of MediaMonkey (MMA) are you using?
Boy_Narf

Post by Boy_Narf »

All songs in my library are MP3 files. Roughly 75% are ripped from CD @ 192kbps, and the rest are from Bandcamp @ 320kbps. The volume was calculated in the second latest version of MM (I just updated to the latest last week). Playback is on the latest version of MMA, OnePlus5, Oxygen OS 9.0.4 (latest OTA). I haven't run into this issue during playback in the desktop app.

If it matters I rarely use wired headphones these days so the majority of my listening is over Bluetooth. Either through Sony headphones, Jaybird X2, Yamaha home theatre receiver, or a pioneer deck in the car. I can't confirm if the issue is happening on wired headphones or not.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I can't replicate, Tested on Moto X4, Idol 3 (LineAge OS 14.1), HTC 820, Huawei P20 Lite on Moto BT and wired headphones, Speaker and Car HeadUnit BT while having enabled Volume leveling.

Do you have Crossfade enabled and can you isolate two tracks with issue and send me DL link in PM so that I can check?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Boy_Narf

Post by Boy_Narf »

No I disabled CF. It's currently set to gap-less. As I mentioned above it's impossible to reproduce. It's random and not linked to any specific songs. If it happens on a song, I've gone back to replay that song, or even switched to another and then back but it doesn't happen again. This probably happens about once or twice a week, and I am playing music for 8 hours a day while at work. Guess I could just change all the track volumes, and not have to use the volume levelling feature.

Thank you for your effort. Hopefully if the auto volume algorithm ever gets an update, this will be unintentionally resolved as a result.

Have a joyful day.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
:-? :( :( When it happen can you please immediately Send Debug LOG from MMA and post log ID here. I hope something can be found.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Boy_Narf

Post by Boy_Narf »

Sure I'll give it a try. How do I send a report from MMA?

Also I've been listening for the past 3 days with auto volume turned back on and no jumps to report.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can do this from About in MMA.
Boy_Narf

Post by Boy_Narf »

Ok it happened yesterday and I send in some logs.
Boy_Narf

Post by Boy_Narf »

Ok it's happened 4 times in the past week. I've sent in a few logs.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Be sure to post log id in this thread ... so they can match them up
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Boy_Narf

Post by Boy_Narf »

Hello,

Just wanted to check in on this. It stopped doing this for a while but today just started back up again in a different form. Before it was the beginnings and ends of songs that had a volume spike (sometimes I still hear this but I think it's an issue with the files and not MM), but now it's when I'm un-pausing a track. I made the following changes in the app this morning, not sure if it's related:

1. "show in notifications bar" set to always.
2. "playback notification" set to System.
3. Enabled EQ on the normal setting.

I've also been noticing issues with "analyse track volume". I've got it setup to analyse volume automatically on all new songs (I get most of my music from Bandcamp). I listened to a few albums yesterday where the first song wasn't analysed even though it seemed to run through the process for the album. Manually running on the song/album a second time fixes it up but still odd. Also another album from earlier this week has a few songs in the middle that are much lower volume. I figured it would be a good time to re-analyse all of my music and I did so this morning.

Now I'm getting volume jumps when I resume playback on MM Android. If it's a quick pause there is no issue. The song seems to quickly fade in. if I pause for a few minutes to take a call or something like that, the volume blasts up and then back down quickly. I have tinnitus so these sudden volume blasts are painful and can trigger the ringing to start. This is happening on both of my bluetooth sources, Galaxy Buds 2, as well as a Bose S1.

I just submitted Log: S4ZWD4A7TJ

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »