MM5 still exposed to multiple concurrent evocations.

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

MM5 still exposed to multiple concurrent evocations.

Post by Barry4679 »

MM5 is still exposed to accidental multiple concurrent evocations.

ie. double click MM5 desktop icon ... no apparent response ... thinks "did I fumble that double click?" .... double click icon again

response (after a longish wait): duplicated concurrent invocations of MM5
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: MM5 still exposed to multiple concurrent evocations.

Post by Ludek »

I can't replicate.

Did you check Options > General > [x] Allow just one instance of MediaMonkey
?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:24 am Did you check Options > General > [x] Allow just one instance of MediaMonkey
Yes, option is checked to allow just one instance.

I see this often. ... Usually happens after I close, then restart, MM5 ... or after MM5 abends.

In these circumstances MM5 is very slow to start. ... It looks like nothing is happening. I redo the double click, and get two instances.

[EDIT} I can replicate. I just did it again. Running 2173, but I have reported this before ... It has always been like this.

[EDIT2] problems persists with the new 2175 version.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Is it possible any previous MM5 instance wasn't closed properly and still running (MediaMonkey.exe process) ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

PetrCBR wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:20 am Is it possible any previous MM5 instance wasn't closed properly and still running (MediaMonkey.exe process) ?
Is hard for me to tell.

1. How long does it take for MM5 to fully close down with all its debug overhead?
2. There is often multiple versions of MediaMonkey.exe running ... ie. both MM4 & MM5

I close MM4 via its Windows "x" at top right ... in the case of a MM5 abend, I end the the task using the Task manager

Even if the exe from MM5 was completing closedown, would that produce a situation like this as shown below?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4s0uasuz6itjm ... s.png?dl=0

MM4 is running once. It is the active screen.
The Task Manager is sitting over the top.
I have set MM5 to have a different icon, so I can tell the versions apart on the task bar.
I am hovering over my "MM5 icon", and you can see that there are two concurrent invocations.

You can force this to happen by
  • close MM5
  • then double click the MM5 icon twice quickly
It can also happen accidentally ... ie. MM5 can be very sluggish to start sometimes ... I think that the double click was not registered properly, so I do it again.

It can be hard to notice that it has happened, because one MM5 invocation is on top of the other, and it is hard to notice that there is a little shadow on its task bar icon.

I stop and then restart MM5 immediately during testing quite often, because I still don't trust MM5 to persist config changes immediately ... so I stop|start MM5 to make sure that they are not lost if MM5 abends during testing.

During the weekend I sent Ludek a debug log of this happening.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thx, will be fixed in 2176