Migrated drive and both locations still show

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Angeleri

Migrated drive and both locations still show

Post by Angeleri »

Recently my hard drive with my music database began to die, so I ordered a replacement drive and babysat the transfer of files for 2 days before I couldn't get to my files anymore. It was a secondary drive, so afterwards I just changed the letter of the new drive to the same the old was using (E:) and for the most part all was well.

However, MediaMonkey seems to recognize that they are 2 physical drives despite that the old one isn't plugged in anymore, and I never ran the program while the drive was dying and the new one hadn't yet been assigned to E:. I tried rescanning the library, and it just added duplicates on top of the old "unavailable" library files. I tried selecting "remove unavailable files" but it didn't do anything. I assume this is because MM anticipates the drive may be reconnected at some point like any removable disk (which will not happen in this case). When I look at the paths for my library files in MM, the unavailable files now begin with "[Mac]\Music..." rather than "E:\Music" like the available files ("Mac" was the name of the dying drive).

When I try to sort by file path and delete the [Mac] files, the prompt only asks me if I want to delete the files rather than offering the option to just remove them from the library. I am reticent to do this because my new library uses the same drive letter the old one did, and worry it might end up deleting the new library. I don't want to clear my database and rescan because I have some custom field tags I'd prefer not to lose.

Anyone have any ideas on how to clean this up?
Lowlander

Re: Migrated drive and both locations still show

Post by Lowlander »

Next time follow this to migrate from old to new drive: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer

You can remove the old drive from the Music > Location node (this doesn't do any file deletion). Do note though that this will remove Play History, unsaved tags and the files from any Playlists in MediaMonkey they're on.

You can also remove the new drive and then follow then use https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/searc ... n+database on the old drive files. This will retain any database only data on these files.