Really, really, really slow folder monitoring

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Eric The G

Really, really, really slow folder monitoring

Post by Eric The G »

Until recently, upon opening MMW it never took more than a few minutes to whiz through the monitoring of my ~26k songs. Now it's taking 20 minutes to get through the collection. Seems also to be interfering with playback while in process. Any repair ideas?
Lowlander

Re: Really, really, really slow folder monitoring

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure you're using MediaMonkey 4.1.24, try File > Maintain Library with complete optimization and maybe you enabled duplicate analysis and/or auto-leveling of files with unknown volume level in the options?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
There is many factors that can influence monitoring and scanning folders.

I would like to suggest that you create Support Ticket https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ and supply us log file as described at https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69 which would help us determine why monitoring is slower now.

I wonder why are you monitoring folder with such large number of files? Over the years users found out that monitoring folder with low number of files eg. c:\MyTempFolder\ that contain up to few hundred files and then Auto Organize them to their permanent destination is more efficient than monitoring whole C:\Music Folder.

For me I have set things like this. I monitor folders (4 to be exact) when I download all my Media Purchases and after Download I simply Select files -> Right click -> Auto Organize and put them into destination on My NAS.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Eric The G

Post by Eric The G »

Lowlander, a big thanks for the speedy and succinct reply. I am on 4.1.24, but revisited File>Maintain Library, [re?]set to Optimize Database (quick) ... and all appears well.

Peke, you question why I monitor files with every Start ... and I didn't know there were options otherwise. Indeed, I'm not quite sure what is actually being monitored. I don't add but a CD or two per month to collection, so maybe it's a waste of bytes. How/why would I configure to be more efficient?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case you may not want to use Folder Monitoring's Startup Scan. You can do a manual scan if you added those CDs while MediaMonkey wasn't running (when MM runs Continuous Scan picks up additions and changes).

Many of us use an Incoming/New folder for new files and you can have that monitored as it will be quick. Once files have been edited to your own needs you can use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to move them from this Incoming/New folder to the main Library folder.
Eric The G

Post by Eric The G »

OK, I spoke too soon. Monitoring still extra-sluggish, so I deleted/reloaded MMW, but no improvement. Indeed, now it looks like it's doing double duty with lower scroll showing Monitoring x of x, Adding x of x and [a second] Adding x of x. It's possible it'll work its way through entire collection then all will be well, but something sure has changed.