Better Shuffle Formula

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: Better Shuffle Formula

Post by Peke » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Hi,
MMA 2.0 should support Auto-Playlists like MMW/MM5 so this should be addressed/fixed.

For now I use workaround to sync Playback Statistics back to MMW and as explained above use auto-playlists to get new set of tracks on each sync.

Takes a bit of time to analyze tracks to sync but it works.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

dkstott

Post by dkstott » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:02 am

Peke,

With nearly 20G of music on my phone, I shouldn't be hearing the some of the same songs on a daily basis during my 1-2 hours exercise routine. Nor should I have to have playlists. I expect MMA to be able to shuffle the entire library and not ignore major sections of the music.

My only ability to "fix" this is to delete the music that gets repeated to force MMA to consider the rest of the library. This works for about a week and then it's back to hearing repeated songs.

Peke wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:58 am
Hi,
Instead of using entire library I always used Playlist with criterias:
- Not Played past 7 Days
- Limit 1 track
- Random Sort

That worked flawlessly.

In addition I sometimes use additional criteria to refine result for less listening tracks
- Play count <10
- Rating NOT BOMB

Using few of these can greatly improve Auto-DJ experience and not ruin listening.

dkstott

Post by dkstott » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:04 am

When can we begin to expect to see MMA 2.0?? I've seen it mentioned here for what feels like 2-3 years now

:-?
Peke wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:04 pm
Hi,
MMA 2.0 should support Auto-Playlists like MMW/MM5 so this should be addressed/fixed.

For now I use workaround to sync Playback Statistics back to MMW and as explained above use auto-playlists to get new set of tracks on each sync.

Takes a bit of time to analyze tracks to sync but it works.

Peke

Post by Peke » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi,
MMA 2.0 is already worked on and we are testing it internally.

You are seeing mentions from 2-3 years as MMA 1.x is designed to bring some of main features and syncing to Android while MMA 2.0 should close gap in functionality to MM5 and it is scheduled after MMA 1.x mature, proven to be stable and MM5 gets more publicly released/announced where MMA 2.0 should thrive.
Best regards,
Pavle

g9ujab

Post by g9ujab » Tue May 21, 2019 8:33 pm

It seems to me that an optimal shuffle algorithm would actually be far from random. I'd build two lists: 1) already played songs and 2) songs not yet played. The algorithm would randomly select from List 2 the next song to play. Then, once played, the song would be removed from List 2 and placed on List 1. The algorithm would then repeat the process of randomly selecting the the next unplayed song from from List 2. Only when List 2 was empty, would the algorithm begin randomly selecting songs from List 1 and then placing them, once played, on List 2. This approach would give the listener a greater sense of random selection, even though the process is not random. Just a thought that might be helpful.

Peke

Post by Peke » Thu May 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi,
If I got this correctly you are referring to behavior like If manual skip event happen then do not reset Shuffle (already played) but continue to prefer non already played tracks?
Best regards,
Pavle

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu May 23, 2019 6:48 pm

You can use Randomize Play instead of Shuffle as this will go in order to a randomized list. This means files played won't be played again (unless you have Repeat All and the end of the Now Playing is reached).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

g9ujab

Post by g9ujab » Fri May 31, 2019 6:07 pm

Lowander, thanks for the tip. Ill give that a try.

Peke, yes, I think that's right.

oblivioncth

Post by oblivioncth » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:48 pm
You can use Randomize Play instead of Shuffle as this will go in order to a randomized list. This means files played won't be played again (unless you have Repeat All and the end of the Now Playing is reached).
The only issue with this is that if you reinitialize the "Randomize Play" by hitting the button again (either on AA or within the app itself) it will still suffer from weirdly seeming like it prefers certain tracks for a while, so just make sure that if you stop listening for a while and come back to the app that you just continue playing from where you left off instead of hitting the Random Play button again. Obviously this isn't possible if your changing playlists/categories, or your device restarts (it may save the current list to a cache, I'm actually not 100% sure on this one), but it is a good suggestion considering what we have to work with at the moment.