Is it Normal For MM5 To Have A Slow Shutdown?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Stigg

Is it Normal For MM5 To Have A Slow Shutdown?

Post by Stigg »

When I close MM5, the window closes immediately, but the tray icon remains for about another 10 seconds.
Is this normal?
PetrCBR

Re: Is it Normal For MM5 To Have A Slow Shutdown?

Post by PetrCBR »

Yes it is normal (closing whole application, destroy cached data, store settings etc. takes some time). Icon is removed at the most end of the app close process. We can remove icon earlier, but i think it's not an issue.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Stigg

Post by Stigg »

OK. Thanks Petr.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

For me MM5 closes in 2 seconds.
Sure, it depends on equipment (I have i7 + SSD), but I would say that 10 seconds is not normal (except for a very slow and low power laptops), actually we have an assertion when a close action takes longer than 10 seconds (and crash log "not all close events finished" is generated). You were probably near to this treshold?

Could you please download and install 2178 and generate debug log (item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643) ?
1) Start DbgView app
2) Start MM5 and wait 10 seconds or so to load everything
3) Close MM5 and wait 30 seconds
4) Save the output from the DbgView to a file, upload the file to a free file hosting service (DropBox, RapidShare, FileDropper, MediaFire, ...) and share the link to the file with us (e.g. send me private message with the link or share it here)
Graves

Post by Graves »

Ludek wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:34 am Sure, it depends on equipment (I have i7 + SSD), but I would say that 10 seconds is not normal (except for a very slow and low power laptops), actually we have an assertion when a close action takes longer than 10 seconds (and crash log "not all close events finished" is generated). You were probably near to this treshold?
Well, my "very slow and low power laptop" for instance has three 5,25" slots, a Core-i7 7700K CPU, 16G DDR4 RAM and an 8G NVidia GTX1070 OC placed on its Z270 chipped mainboard. Still, 10 seconds is a quite accurate guess.

Maybe this depends on your lib's size rather than on your hardware?
Admission: Whilst MM5 app is installed on my Samsung EVO 860 SSD, I'm storing mp3s on a SATA-6G 7200rpm HDD still.

[edit] Besides, I don't mind how long it takes MM to shut down. It therefore loads incredibly quick!
On my PC on the other hand, everything does B-)
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

MM closing take always approx 10 seconds for you ? Even when MM is in idle (no running operations) ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Graves

Post by Graves »

Well, I don't really take heed of this tray icon quite a lot, neither am I stopping time or so...

Now I've run some trials and come to a new conclusion:
It varies =)
It sometimes takes about 10 secs, that I know for I've noticed so a couple of times, also with 2178.
But mostly MM shutdown process takes only about 500-3000 ms.

So, sorry for the inconveniences :oops: