Switching to MM from ITunes advice needed

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jjh1967

Switching to MM from ITunes advice needed

Post by jjh1967 »

My situation: I'm going to be switching to MM Gold from Itunes pretty soon. Right now, I'm running ITunes on my Windows 7 laptop. I sync with and Ipod classic that I use to listen to music in my car and on my Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro Android phone that I use while on walks and for bluetooth speakers. I have many very long playlists that are very important to me to be able to bring over into MM and then sync them to both the Ipod and phone. Right now I sync the phone with Doubletwist and have my music on an SD card.

I really want to do this right from the start and could use some advice:
1) Do I install MM on my laptop while Itunes is still installed? Do I copy my music files from my Itunes folder to an external hard drive, uninstall Itunes, then install MM and point it to the external hard drive to import my music? Would installing MM with Itunes still on my laptop result in a duplication of my music library on the laptop's solid state drive? (I don't think I have the room for that.)

2) When I'm ready to put MM on my phone I take it I'll want to delete Doubletwist and the music on the SD card and let MM add music to the phone the way it likes -- is that right?

3) After I get up and running in MM do I need to do anything special to start syncing my Ipod with MM rather than Itunes or do I just plug it in the USP port like I've always done when syncing with Itunes and let MM do the rest?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give me and I'm pretty excited about this switch. MM looks like it's got a lot of nifty features and more advanced features I'll enjoy using.
Thanks much!
Lowlander

Re: Switching to MM from ITunes advice needed

Post by Lowlander »

1) Do you want an import from iTunes data to take place? If not, you can do whatever you want and thus what works best for you.

2) I would suggest to start fresh and have MediaMonkey sync to the device with MMA installed. More data gets passed along this way.

3) You can sync with iPod's from MediaMonkey: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... zation/4.0
jjh1967

Post by jjh1967 »

Hi there,
Yes, I'd like to transfer all my music, and especially my playlists, from iTuens to MM.
Thanks for the help and link. I'll check that out.
Bye,
Jonathan
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then leave iTunes installed and the files in their place. Then scan them into MediaMonkey.

See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... ediamonkey