MM computer move issue: DB not up to date

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

dasein47

MM computer move issue: DB not up to date

Post by dasein47 »

BACKGROUND INFO:

I am in the process of moving software from one desktop to another (so same OS installed - Win10 - but everything will be on a new HD).

I have run into this problem while trying to do the "Moving MM to a new computer" located here on this forum/site. My version of MM is 4.1.6.1736 Gold.

I follow all the steps in that document to the letter -synchronizing tags, (even optimizing db quick), moving media files with same folder/filename onto the new drive in new desktop, copying database files, copying MediaMonkey.ini files and the Registry entry fro HKEY_Current_User/Software/Mediamonkey, installing MediaMonkey and successfully re-registering it to me on the new desktop.

Once I launch the program, my library appears there but grayed out , which is to be expected since I have not yet "Updated the database to point to the correct drive (change driveID yet)", which is the next -and final- step in this process.

ISSUE I'M HAVING:

The problem is this: the database there is NOT the most recent one that I copied from the old computer. It is out of date by a lot. When I go to check the DB date and size, it listed as September of 2018 (it is currently July 2019). This is red-flag odd to me.

I have also noticed that I have 2 DB files in two different locations:

-the first is located where the document says it should be - C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey - and is dated 9-14-2018 and is 2,173 kb

-the second is located where the program is installed: C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey is dated 9-14-2018 and is 68,333 kb.

Thsi is really odd to me because nowhere does it state that C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey should house the MM.db file, right?

But given how big my library is - 21,000 songs - I assume the second, oddly located one is my db and NOT the one located in AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey.

But when I open up MM on the new computer, I can see that the library is quite old and does not have music I have put in there for many months. I assume this is because the MM.db is months out of date.

So I think my question is: How do I make sure the db file is up to date?
dasein47

Re: MM computer move issue: DB not up to date

Post by dasein47 »

I just found a very new DB file located in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey that was 68 MB and dated in the past few days when I copied it. I assume this is my DB file that I was looking for.

But why was it located there? I never did anything unstandard when installing the App. So weird.

I have decided to just change each playlist reference to the new drive letter and be done with the rest of it.

I will say this: I really, really hate Itunes , and for that reason 12 years ago I decided to use MM. But MM is by no means intuitive or easy to use.

Transferring from one PC to another should not be this difficult!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ is windows way to say they contained suspicious behavior of an application. Simply said it can be mainly compared to the applications whose CRC/Hastags/Fingerprints (name is Depending on application determining that) fail Statistical possibility test of possibly suspicious behavior not found in Database and put in Virtual state where they can't damage the system.

Why MMW ended to fall under that category is unknown, but you can read more about it by searching
https://www.google.com/search?q=AppData ... 8&oe=utf-8 and for https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... erant-heap
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dasein47

Post by dasein47 »

Very good to know. Thanks for the info.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
My pleasure, also be sure that on New PC you use latest version from http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 54426&sd=d
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts