How to combine folders of the same artist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

RickMM

How to combine folders of the same artist

Post by RickMM »

I'm new to MMW, bear with me.

I have a situation where I have different folders for the same artist ie

e:\music\rolling stones\album 1
e:\music\the rolling stones\album 2

I want to combine these 2 folders under one artist name (say 'rolling stones') with both albums 1 & 2 under this folder and remove the orphanage folders. What's the best practice?
Peke

Re: How to combine folders of the same artist

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If Both Albums shows under say 'rolling stones' Tree node (eg. Music\Artist\Rolling Stones) then the best approach would be to select all tracks from both (or more albums) -> Right click on one and then select Auto-Organize.

In that dialog you can Move all tracks under new joined path and control how they would be arranged thru destination mask eg. I would for example set it to "D:\Music\<Artist>\[<Year>] <Album>\<Track#:2>. <Title>", but you can customize it for your preference, as preview results you can see below.

If you need more help feel free to ask.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

Hi Peke,

Both albums don't show under the same tree node, I have 2 nodes, one node called 'the rolling stones' (with Artist name 'the rolling stones') and the other node called 'rolling stones' (with artist name 'rolling stones'). Do I still use auto-organise?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You should firstly Correct one of tree nodes (logically only one is not correct), so that tracks show under same node as they are single artist not two as currently. Next is to ensure that all needed metadata is correct eg. Album, track#, title then you should proceed with Auto-Organize.

The Most important thing in MMW is to have Metadata (Tags) Correct and Accurate no matter of physical path where files are. After you have that correct then virtually there is no limit what you can do with them.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts