Various Artists Not Displaying [#15956][#16034]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

dypsis

Various Artists Not Displaying [#15956][#16034]

Post by dypsis »

I am using the Tree Node extension.

I am very fastidious about my tagging, so I know that the tags are not the problem, but with MM5, if I click on the Various Artists tree node, it does nothing and displays nothing.
Peke

Re: Various Artists Not Displaying

Post by Peke »

Can you please make more details when I click on Various Artist I get this

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Hi Peke.

Have a look at my screenshot.
As you can see, I have selected the Album Artist > Various Artists Node, and it displays nothing.
The same Library works fine in MM4. :(

Also, as a side issue, while I was taking the screenshot I thought I would show you the other annoying issue.
Every time I open MM5, it generated thumbnails every time, even though I have haven't added anything new.

Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hmm Interesting. Here is what you should do:
1. Download latest MM5 Version from https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
2. Install it as Portable at c:\MM5Temp (Do not start on the end of install)
3a. If you have previous MM install was Normal then copy c:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\MM5.DB (or MM.DB) to c:\MM5Temp\Portable\MM5.db
3b. If you have previous MM install was portable then copy c:\{PORTABLEINSTALL}\Portable\MM5.DB (or MM.DB) to c:\MM5Temp\Portable\MM5.db
4. Start c:\MM5Temp\MediaMonkey.exe (Skip/Cancel First start wizard)
5. Check if Various Artist expand, If not use Tools -> Extensions -> Add -> navigate and load c:\MM5Temp\SampleScripts\showAllNodes.mmip and install it
6. Restart MM
7. Check if Various Artist expand now

If that do not fix it Use File -> Manage Database and Check Rebuild Full Text Search and Rebuild Database

Please let me know the result.
Best regards,
Peke
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Thanks, Peke.
I'll do it and let you know.

In the meantime, here is a screenshot of MM4 with the same library.

MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Could you pack and send us your MM5.DB? Maybe we can reproduce it with your data. You can use some file sharing service and PM me link. In case it is very large, you can make some reduced copy only with data needed for manifestation of this bug. Thanks.
Peke

Post by Peke »

OK,
Please let us know the results, as even import to MM5 is corrupter indexes rebuild should fix it.
Best regards,
Peke
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

MiPi wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:29 am Could you pack and send us your MM5.DB? Maybe we can reproduce it with your data. You can use some file sharing service and PM me link. In case it is very large, you can make some reduced copy only with data needed for manifestation of this bug. Thanks.
OK, MiPi. I'll do that. I will also do Peke's tests. I've been a bit busy. :)

Another thing that I found wrong that is probably a related issue.
If I go to Album Artist and select and album where that Artist appears in a Various Artists album, the tree node will display that entire album, which includes that particular artist. But it shouldn't display at all as the Artist tag is the only field populated with that particular artist. The Album Artist is tagged as Various Artists.

Let me give an example to make it easier to understand.

Let's say I have a Various Artists album that has Come Together by The Beatles. Now, that track should have the Album Artist field tagged as Various Artists. The Artist field should be tagged as The Beatles.

Next, if I browse node Album Artist > The Beatles, it displays my The Beatles albums, plus also that Various Artists album because Come Together is a Beatles Track even though I am browsing the Album Artist node and that Beatles track is not tagged as The Beatles in the Album Artist field. The Album Artist field is tagged as Various Artists. :-?

And as I have already said, the same Library of tracks works correctly and as expected in MM4.

Edit: Here is the MM5 database.
It's packed in a 7-Zip.
Size: 10.69 MB

It packed up well. Down from 92.7 MB.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Peke wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:26 pm Hi,
Hmm Interesting. Here is what you should do:
1. Download latest MM5 Version from https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
2. Install it as Portable at c:\MM5Temp (Do not start on the end of install)
3a. If you have previous MM install was Normal then copy c:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\MM5.DB (or MM.DB) to c:\MM5Temp\Portable\MM5.db
3b. If you have previous MM install was portable then copy c:\{PORTABLEINSTALL}\Portable\MM5.DB (or MM.DB) to c:\MM5Temp\Portable\MM5.db
4. Start c:\MM5Temp\MediaMonkey.exe (Skip/Cancel First start wizard)
5. Check if Various Artist expand, If not use Tools -> Extensions -> Add -> navigate and load c:\MM5Temp\SampleScripts\showAllNodes.mmip and install it
6. Restart MM
7. Check if Various Artist expand now

If that do not fix it Use File -> Manage Database and Check Rebuild Full Text Search and Rebuild Database

I don't think it's the database as I have uninstalled the showAllNodes.mmip script, and it is working as expected.
But I find MediaMonkey 5 very cumbersome and inefficient to browse without it. Could it be that sample script? There is no way to drill down through the nodes without installing the sample script. I just used the cumbersome Grid View way to see if it worked. It works that way, but not with the showAllNodes.mmip script.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

dypsis wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:57 pm Another thing that I found wrong that is probably a related issue.
If I go to Album Artist and select and album where that Artist appears in a Various Artists album, the tree node will display that entire album, which includes that particular artist. But it shouldn't display at all as the Artist tag is the only field populated with that particular artist. The Album Artist is tagged as Various Artists.
I am not sure where you are, when doing that searching|filtering. IN MM5 the current context is important.

Here I am in the Albums subnode ... I filter on Thompson ... I see just albums where either Richard, Linda, or Danny Thompson are in or amongst the Album Artists

Here I am in the Album Artist node, and I still just get hits where the Album Artist tag is matched

But here I am in the Artist node, and I see any album which contains at least one track attributed to a "Thompson" ... so this is a feature, not a problem

You can elect to install a hack to re-instate the sub-nodes back into the Media tree ... but IMO In MM5 it is best to ignore the Media Tree when filtering or searching

The new sorting and filtering tools are under-documented ... but they are great once you get to find|understand them
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

dypsis wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 am I don't think it's the database as I have uninstalled the showAllNodes.mmip script, and it is working as expected.
But I find MediaMonkey 5 very cumbersome and inefficient to browse without it. Could it be that sample script? There is no way to drill down through the nodes without installing the sample script. I just used the cumbersome Grid View way to see if it worked. It works that way, but not with the showAllNodes.mmip script.
Can you please upload MM4 Library also?
Best regards,
Peke
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

I've reproduced problem, tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15956
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

MiPi wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:39 am I've reproduced problem, tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15956
It seems, using DB Rebuild and Optimization causes that no script node is expanded then.
Thanks MiPi. :)
I will also try DB Rebuild and Optimization.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Peke wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:26 pm If that do not fix it Use File -> Manage Database and Check Rebuild Full Text Search and Rebuild Database

That doesn't fix it for me. :(
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

dypsis wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:19 pm That doesn't fix it for me. :(
It was bug in the application, it is already fixed and will be included in the next release.