2226 - change of view can hide matching selections

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2226 - change of view can hide matching selections

Post by Barry4679 »

Here you can see that I have a contextual filter to show just the various albums that I have, with album title containing words starting with "spirit".
I was in List By Album view.
I flip over to Grid view, and suddenly I have no matches. ... ?? I just changed the view .. why did you re-filter?

That is just wrong.

Is this part of the wider issue that you seem to have deferred to 5.1? ... ie. that the contextual search syntax, which is allowed according to your tool tip, is disallowed in many contexts.

It is disappointing that this wider case is not seen as a 5.0 issue.

Apart from the fact that it is confusing, it is also limiting.
ie. say I am in the Albums node, and I want to filter to just albums by the Beatles ,,, why can't I search on "albumartist:beatl" ... as advertised by your tooltip instructions?

I don't understand what you are thinking.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Re: 2226 - change of view can hide matching selections

Post by Davo »

I flip over to Grid view
I tried to replicate this but my selection box does'nt show a Grid view?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VF9W6 ... n1_Zw89SRY

The Browser view option seems the same as the 'Tracks' option

I agree totally that the Context search should be available for all sub nodes.
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:33 am I tried to replicate this but my selection box does'nt show a Grid view?
David, it kind of hard to explain due to the flexibility, complexity, and modal inconsistencies within MM5.

Your 1st diagram:
  • I was doing a contextual search, which just searches within the context of the current Media Tree collection. And I was in the Location sub-node, which does has a Grid View.
  • You were doing a global search, which is database-wide, and is not confined to any specific Media Tree collection. And the global search results display doesn't have a Grid View (?!)
At the risk of trying to teach you how to suck eggs (I wonder how our Serbian and Czech etc friends will handle that phrase :) ) ... you do a contextual search like this:
  • first thing is don't touch Ctrl+F key combo, nor the right hand side magnifying glass, nor the Edit menu alone.
  • [CORECTION: this bullet point is incorrect, you have to move focus into the main panel, via a mouse click ] when you open a Media Tree collection, MM5's focus is automatically within the main grid|list panel
  • you start a contextual search|filter, but just typing some search criteria
  • this opens the otherwise invisible search box on the left hand side, that you see in my post
With that you should be able to replicate.

Also I was in the Location sub-node ... it is kind of special, because it doesn't imply a tag index (eg. you were in Condunctor sub-node, which implied the Conductor tag index).

There are two issues:
  • the index-implied sub-nodes don't allow searches like album:beethoven ... you were in Conductor node, si you only get to search on conductor name ... I am saying that this is a disappointing and confusing restriction, and is not documented by the UI, and that it should be fixed
  • as the Location is (invisibly) not an index implied sub-node, you can use the album&beethoven search syntax that you were trying, but it has a bug (IMO) when you switch Views to the Grid ... ie. in that View it seems to be an invalid query, and returns nothing
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I see, Barry means the new "Grid (albums)" view that has been added recently to the Location sub-nodes.
I can confirm that filtering by specific fields is not workiing there, to be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16221
Current workaround is just to type "spirit" instead of "album:spirit"
Davo

Post by Davo »

@Barry
Thanks for the explanation. I never really understood 'contextual' searches. i don't use searches much, preferring the column filter & i never use the Location sub node. What do you see as the main benefits of using Location?

@ Ludek
At the Collection level i have the option for a Grid view, but after I do a 'contextual' search the results can't be displayed in a Grid view. This seems illogical to me. After all, the search results are just a sub set of the original view. So why is the Grid view not available as an option?
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:15 pm What do you see as the main benefits of using Location?
In this instance I was just testing and reviewing that facility; looking for bugs and getting to know MM5 wrinkles.

But I do use Location node in MM4.

My tracks are on my NAS. I rip CDs using a tool other than MM, and I rip to my PC disk.
The Location node quarantines new music while I titivate the art, and clean up the tags ... and audition the music in some cases.

Once done, I drag and drop the music that I want to keep, to my NAS,

The other use for it may be people with dodgy tags ... ie. they can find tracks via the file structure.

Davo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:15 pm Thanks for the explanation. I never really understood 'contextual' searches. i don't use searches much, preferring the column filter

You're welcome.

The MM5 contextual search is a tool worth learning, for impromptu queries..... it is always listening ... it is confined to the context of the selected Media Tree Collection, and the results has all the View modes that you are expecting
  • if you are in the AllTracks node, it searches all words, in all tags (or just those that you allow it to search via Tools|Options|Library|Search)
  • if you are in the Albums node, it searches all words, in the AlbumArtist and album tags
  • otherwise it searches just the implied tag... ie. the Conductor tag in you earlier example
  • You can type a simple search phrase
  • or, if you are in the AllTracks node, you use the search syntax language as per their tooltip ..... this is the restriction that I keep banging on about ... it would be helpful if this restriction was lifted, for the Albums node at least ... also all these modal differences, where MM5 works this way in this this situation, but works that way in that other situation, makes MM5 hard to understand and learn
Advantages (vs Column Browser) for impromptu queries:
  • it searches the start of any word, not just the 1st word .... well it is actually more involved than that ... The column browser will search all words, but only where it can't find a hit, using just the 1st word, but then you can advance to the next occurrence using the ctrl+down key .... whereas the contextual search shows you all occurrences immediately
  • you don't have to rearrange column browser columns
  • it is easier to clear your search criteria ... ie. there is a little 'x', whereas in the Column Browser you need to scroll the column way back up to the top, or know to use the Home key