2227 - changing views seems better, but still is broken

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2227 - changing views seems better, but still is broken

Post by Barry4679 »

I think (but not sure) that there has been a change is behaviour when changing Views.
MM5 view changes is still really a random throw of the dice, with respect to the Column Browser.

Here I am in The Artist sub-node .. Grid view ... filtered to an artist using the Column Browser.

1. Switch to List By Album view ... good, still filtered by Artist
2. Switch to List view .. ??? ... you hide the Column Browser, and the grid is not filtered anymore?
3. Switch back to Grid View ... ??? you give me back the Column Browser, but you have trashed my filter setting

It is worse in the Album sub-node. ... this time you have have already screwed up by step 1

If I apply a contextual filter instead of the Column Filter, everything is OK.

Another observation: Did the AllTracks node ever have a Grid View? ... If no, is there any reason why not?

I presume that you would say that I don't need a Grid View there, because all I have to do is switch across to album or albumart node, which do have Grid reviews ... but if I do that you trash whatever filter I had setup in AllTracks node.

I think that it would be a consistent experience, and a useful addition, if AllTracks had a Grid view.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2227 - changing views seems better, but still is broken

Post by Ludek »

Hi, this behaviour is per https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15584

If you see the discussion there (and rationale for this) you can see that this issue is a little bit controversial.

i.e. for sub-views like "Column Filter" it makes more sense to persist per node (see Jiri's note 53182 here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 584#c53182 ) and as it worked originally, while for others sub-views like 'Info panel' it makes more sense to persist visibility per view, see Rusty's notes 54202 and 54305 there

i.e. in your case (and with current impementation) you would need to enable "Column Filter" also for the "List" view and it will persist also the selection when switching between all types of the views (bacause now _all_ have the "Column Filter" enabled).

As for the "Grid" for "All Tracks". Sure ,we can add it though I don't think that it is a typical view for "All tracks", it is rather expected view for "Albums"
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:33 am Hi, this behaviour is per https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15584

If you see the discussion there (and rationale for this) you can see that this issue is a little bit controversial.

i.e. for sub-views like "Column Filter" it makes more sense to persist per node (see Jiri's note 53182 here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 584#c53182 ) and as it worked originally, while for others sub-views like 'Info panel' it makes more sense to persist visibility per view, see Rusty's notes 54202 and 54305 there

i.e. in your case (and with current impementation) you would need to enable "Column Filter" also for the "List" view and it will persist also the selection when switching between all types of the views (bacause now _all_ have the "Column Filter" enabled).

As for the "Grid" for "All Tracks". Sure ,we can add it though I don't think that it is a typical view for "All tracks", it is rather expected view for "Albums"
OK, I see further Column Browser considerations are deferred to 5.1.

I agree with this, due to late stage of the beta, and the smallness of the size of the problem.

I still think that the Column Browser integration into MM5 needs more work:
  • It is hard to justify that a change of "View" mode alters the filter specification
  • It is hard to argue that is OK that cycling through views, in Album node, should have a different result, to the same view cycling in Artist or AlbumArtist nodes
  • It is hard to understand that a contextual filter gives different results, to the same filter when achieved via the Column Browser, when cycling through views
  • It is hard to see why AllTracks needs only a Detail view (List) view, and a Detail+Summary view ( List By Album), when other nodes have an additional Summary view (Grid view)
I think that this has grown to be fairly ugly ... and the the inconsistencies make it harder to learn MM5
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

2227 - Different change view problem (has been replicated)

1. Conductors sub node - Grid view
2. Select conductor from grid
3. Change view to List (by album)
4. Loads unrelated albums in list (by album) view but fails to load selected albums ??
refer jpg's & logs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hB59a ... AdI2sw-gQU
David