Only entire star rating

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

CarlitoGil

Re: Only entire star rating

Post by CarlitoGil »

rovingcowboy wrote:link to it? its in the help with addons room in the all script's thread.
It's called AutoRateAccurate
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=24126
rovingcowboy wrote: auto rating just makes the ratings according to your play counts and your settings in that custom setting.

Still.
What does auto rating have to do with half stars, having too many choices in the rating spectrum and finding it annoying when you get a half star when you wanted to click a whole star?
I hope I'm not being rude, but that seems very far from a solution to me.
iTunesMonkey + Acoustid – Find metadata from iTunes and Acoustid
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

auto rating is using or not using half stars.

you don't want half stars so you put zero in that percentage box in big berny's script.

you won't have half stars on any of your songs.

auto rating saves you time of manually clicking on every one of the songs in your library.

what you want to have is the half star rating removed from the programs use.
monkey uses the rating standard for all music. and the others use half stars so monkey uses them.
the code is made to show half stars in the options to pick them if you want them.

auto rating allows you to pick the rating your self if you want too and keep the manual ratings.

so it has what you want in its script already only it does not take them off the rating board of mediamonkey so those
that want to use them still have them there.

your not being rude, i just think of it as bull headed.
cause you can't open your mind and see what is already made in a script as what you can do to achive what you want.
but hey every one can be bull headed. i don't reserve that right just for me. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

rovingcowboy wrote:auto rating saves you time of manually clicking on every one of the songs in your library.
What if I want to keep ratings manually or base them on taste and not statistics?
What if you only play a song on special occasions but merits a great rating?
I don't even see it as a workaraound. Is another rating system entirely.
rovingcowboy wrote: what you want to have is the half star rating removed from the programs use.
monkey uses the rating standard for all music. and the others use half stars so monkey uses them.
the code is made to show half stars in the options to pick them if you want them.
Who said anything about removing it from MM!?
Make it optional to be able to set halfstars, not remove their display if used.
The default can be like it is now.
Manual half stars are not as commonly implemented as you seem to think. (not in iTunes, Songbird, WMP, Zune or any hardware I've seen)
But nobody is taking away your half stars, man.

rovingcowboy wrote: auto rating allows you to pick the rating your self if you want too and keep the manual ratings.
So the Rating fields with half stars are rounded up immediately without taking into account anything more than the previous manual rating?
rovingcowboy wrote: cause you can't open your mind and see what is already made in a script as what you can do to achive what you want.
What made you think that?
That I asked for a link when the script was suggested?
I had downloaded, installed, tweaked and tested it. Guess.

I don't think you're trying to empathize with what is being asked. If so, why give suggestions?
rovingcowboy wrote: your not being rude, i just think of it as bull headed.
Maybe headstrong, but bullheaded implies irrationality which doesn't really suit me.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

okay you be headstrong. i'll be bull headed. :D

you don't seem to think it will work. as you say you want it. but if you tested it did you test it on his custom setting.?
and if you tested it then you seen the option for keeping manual ratings, which are not changed so you can base them on tastes., you can also try and figure out the coding in his text area for the custom option and change it to what you want i did and i'm not even a programmer. :)

then rate that special song manualy and keep the manual rating.

the songs ratings are not rounded up the songs all start with zero rating in his code.
you add in percentage of what you want for each star rating. total has to be 100% but you don't have to use the half stars.

it sounded like you wanted them removed from view in some of your posts..

i see you're one to take single lines out of context and think on them as something different. what you should do is put that open mind line back along side the bullheaded line and you have your answer to the question about it. :D
or read your comment about the ratings being rounded up to see what i mean you don't read what is wrote.

mediamonkey is so much more simple to use then other programs you need to forget most if not all of what you did with the other programs and relearn things with monkey's way of doing them and with the way monkey's scripts do them you will see its lots easier then you thought. everyone that first comes to monkey does the same thing, try and hold on to what they knew with the older/ other programs. monkey is being made super simple but very customizable for us users.
:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

tinana wrote:
I agree with the reasons given, here's another
4. Rating with the mouse has to be too precise.
Yeeeeah, I hate this, I often click half-stars by mistake, ugh.
I agree that the option of disabling half-star ratings would be welcome because it would make it easier to rate tracks using a mouse. I haven't had a problem with rating my tracks with whole-star ratings because I use the keyboard shortcuts (alt-[number]) to rate my songs. I find it easier and more accurate than using a mouse.
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

How much you like a song is not an exact science. 11 shades from 0 to 5 can be way too specific.

Please read this to be clear about what is being proposed.

An ON/OFF option: "Set Half Star Ratings"

ON: (default)
Works like it does now. (If you like it this way you won't be bothered)

OFF:
  • Only integer ratings can be set by the mouse in the Rating column, rating from the Player or Aero Preview buttons.
  • Half stars are shown in the Treenode only if they exist (like the custom Categories).
  • Hide half stars items from the menus and the dropdown in Properties. If a half star was previously set then show all half stars.
  • No changes in the way MM interacts with devices in regards of ratings are needed.
  • No changes to the database or tags have to be made. If they have half stars keep and show them anyway
    (you previously set them and may want them or you can change them when you don't).

I find these suggestions straight-forward for implementation, undisruptive to the current scheme and reasonable to have as an option that many people prefer and regard as the defacto standard; a 5 (integer) stars rating system.

Can someone pretty please give this an issue number. Even if it has to wait until MM5.
warsan

Post by warsan »

I would really really appreciate such an on/off switch.
Can some tell me if such is implemented in MM5?
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

There is an addon for MM5: "https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... t-ratings/".
It displays numbers instead of asterisks. This is just a visual effect.
But be careful: changes in the player are NOT written back to the tags.

You can also remove the addon - and it won't cause any damage.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation