Volume levelling and the iPod

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

thebooge

Volume levelling and the iPod

Post by thebooge »

Here is a detailed version of what I am experiencing:

1. My files are on my iPod. These have been synced to the iPod from another computer and all volume levelling has been carried out on this computer.
2. I have MediaMonkey installed on a second computer (v 2.5.3.968)
3. I do NOT have a music library installed on this second computer. I have no music at all on this computer. This is a completely fresh installation of MediaMonkey and I did not scan my computer for music files.
4. When I browse to my iPod with MediaMonkey (Select the iPod node - my E: drive - not within My Computer - rather it's own iPod node) all of the mp3 files display the volume levelling values.
5. If I double-click one of the mp3 files on my iPod, it does not play according to this levelling value (too loud).
6. If I right-click on one of my iPod tracks and select "Copy", select the c:\ drive in the Library node and then select "Paste", the mp3 file is MOVED off of my iPod onto my c:\ drive.
7. If I double-click on this mp3 file on my c:\drive, the file DOES play according to the levelling value.
8. If I synchronize this file back onto my iPod (remember the file was moved off of my iPod in step 6 for some reason) and then double-click on this mp3 file on my iPod, again it does not play according to the levelling value.

Is this a bug? I have discussed this with Lowlander here and thought it should be addressed in this forum. Sorry if this is considered double dipping.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Do you have v2.5.4 on the 'fresh computer' ?

Somehow my time with v2.5.4 was short, due to the player seemed to have been 'tampered' with. I went back to v2.5.3 because of this.
I've been using MediaMonkey for about a couple of years and the 2.5.4 version made me give the boot to MediaMonkey Volume Leveling.

Firstly it is good that you take time to report this, but I believe it will be worth your while to do v2.5.3 on the 'fresh computer' and wait for v2.5.5 to see if they manage to repair the 'tampered' player part.

I could be wrong, as I did not study the problem in detail, just got annoyed.
charlieMOGUL

Re: Volume levelling and the iPod

Post by charlieMOGUL »

Have you turned on Sound Check in your iPod's menu ? This way you can set the iPod to read (apply) or ignore volume leveling's tags.

regards,

charlieMOGUL
rusty

Volume Leveling when playing in MM directly from an iPod

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Thanks for the report. I'm able to reproduce this and have added it to our to do list.

-Rusty