PrettyPictures (Album Art Browser) [MM 3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

charlieMOGUL

Post by charlieMOGUL »

Dale,

Wonderful script - this is just the interface upgrade that MediaMonkey needed! A very intuitive way to browse through your collection.

*) When I use version 0.5 and 0.51 using MM 2.5.5.983 and IE 7, I get the following error message upon starting MM:
An error has occurred in the script on this page
Line: 476
Char: 3
Error: 'undefined' is null or not an object

After answering yes to continue running scripts on this page, the script works okay (well, first a Flash message to bypass).

*) When clicking on the resize bar, MediaMonkey throws out an access violation

Thanks again for all your effort - it's appreciated at -even- the other end of the globe (c;

charlieMOGUL

Post by Guest »

charlieMOGUL wrote:An error has occurred in the script on this page
what node is selected when you start medimonkey? and are there any tracks in it? does it say this everytime you start mediamonkey?
charlieMOGUL wrote:After answering yes to continue running scripts on this page, the script works okay (well, first a Flash message to bypass).
what's the flash message to bypass? - what version of flash have you got? - (it should say at the bottom of the menu if you right click on pretty pictures)

charlieMOGUL wrote:*) When clicking on the resize bar, MediaMonkey throws out an access violation
this is mentioned in my v0.5 post and in the second post of this thread.

thanks for the feedback,
Dale.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

ssorry.. that was me
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.

Post by Guest »

An error has occurred in the script on this page
cjarlieMogul...

which file does it say this error is in; FlashPage.html or PrettyPictures.vbs?

Dale.
charlieMOGUL

Problem solved

Post by charlieMOGUL »

Hi Dale,

The script error occurs everytime when starting MediaMonkey in FlashPage.html. My MediaMonkey starts in the Library node which doesn't show any tracks/albums to browse.

The message is in HTML saying that it hasn't detected flash, but that you can bypass Flash detection anyway. When clicking on that link it takes me to Pretty Pictures.

Flashplayer is 8,0,24,0
IE is 7.0.5730.11

BUT

After upgrading to Flashplayer 9,0,28,0 both problems (HTML error and the HTML Flash message) disappeared. Much ado about nothing!

Thanks for your fast replies,

charlieMOGUL
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

I'm having a problem with a few random images - the script seems to pic only the LAST image stored in the tag rather than the first... ie. If I have both a front cover and a back cover, then even though the front cover is listed and displayed first by MM, your script chooses the back image as the cached image. I've checked a lot of albums and this seems to be fairly prevalent across the collection. It's not just the back image... but even if I have multiple images stored, then it's the LAST in the list at all times (regardless of what it's tagged as). I don't know if this has something to do with how the images are stored in the tags or not.

(using v. 0.51)
hars

Post by hars »

just tried out the latest version, it feels slower than before but i can see you're working on that in the to-do. but i have a request: ignore "the" in bandnames, just like mm does in the tree-listing. as it is now both the hives and the specials are sorted under t, not h or s. great work sofar!
Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole. And my record collection can beat up your record collection.
will

Best

Post by will »

Three weeks ago I found Media Monkey, I didn't have more than 10 albums with art, but once I saw my friend's iTunes 7 browse his music by album, I set out to get all the art I could.
I never want to open the Amazon Tagger again. It was an arduous task.

Just as I began to wonder whether it was time wasted, I found Pretty Pictures.

I'm a sucker for settings, and my pc is not that high spec, so having such control of the visual settings is superb, (and Importantly, much better than itunes).

Being that the album view was dependant on the nodes, I've made a magicnode on my custom 1 field, after putting a generic label for each song in that field. I use it like a more broad version of genre. "Guitar" is one etc.
I aim to keep less than ten of these tags, and I click those to show the album art for each, choose my album with pretty pictures (using the letters to quickly get where I'm thinking), and then mouse gestures how I want it added to my Now Playing.

I've dragged the Now Playing up to hide the main list window so its minimalist.
(Now I just need some shortcut keys to different view layouts, one for playing and one for editing...)

So Thank You Dale, for such a high quality and user friendly plugin!

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... keyyy6.png
^^My screenshot.
will

suggestion

Post by will »

mentioning "the" ignoring on the sort reminded me!
Ignoring the prefixes on artists would be as useful as ordering an artists albums by the year!

Also, I really like dragging the background to scroll the images when I've got say, a hundred albums in the list, much more than that its too quick, and with less, its sluggish to move.

Could a variable be introduced to adapt the scroll to a set number of pixels dragged per album? A value 1 to 10? (I know I'd be dragging and then moving back and dragging again)

That said, I like the original use, how clicking a third along goes a third through the list, so how about if you drag the background near the bottom it scrolls on the whole list but if you drag near the top it scrolls to a variable you can set in the options?

As I said before though, I love the way it works as it is, and thanks a lot!
will

and!

Post by will »

about the first click never caught thing, is it the internet explorer object that doesn't send the keypress?
Assuming the user's real problem with it is that they get unsure as to whether their click has gone through or not, could a shortcut key be introduced to give focus to the flash object?

Or since it still seems to register mousemove events, could a mousemove give the object focus?
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

charlieMOGUL,
thanks for posting that.. I think I'll just raise the detection to force using the flash 9 player... it should actually be flash 8 compatible but this is a quick easy fix to prevent confusing in the future.
the script seems to pic only the LAST image stored in the tag rather than the first.
Thanks Nebbin, I'll look into this and get it right!
it feels slower than before but i can see you're working on that in the to-do
hars, yeah, I'm working on memory issues in the to do, if you're low on memory this may be what's hindering speed.. however, not necessarily.
If you're having too many speed issues.. try adjusting the visual options... anything with transparency (like shadows) use alot of CPU, so keep them on EXACTLY zero, perspective too, exactly 0. and shade - exactly ZERO.
lastly.. you could try putting rotation on 0 but I haven't noticed many improvements from this. Good to see someone's noticed I post my to do there for reading ;)

though when I get to dealing with those memory issues.. I'm sure there WILL be speed improvements.

will, thanks fo rhte screenshot and the kind words it's good to see what people have done with it (which is why I encourage people to post their visual settings too!).
I really like dragging the background to scroll the images...
well.. that's not really what you went on to say..lol.. but let me clarify something for you. There are FIVE ways to move through the list.
  • 1. press a letter on the keyboard and it will move straight to it.
    2. click on the background as described to move like any standard scrollbar.
    3. click and RELEASE on an image to automatically scroll that image to the centre.
    4. click and HOLD on an image to scroll in that direction (the speed is relative to how far from the centre your mouse is... feel free to move it around while scrolling)
    5. use the scrollwheel on the mouse.
I always expected people to not fully understand this as I never explained it properly.. I intend to create a video tutorial but haven't had the chance.
could a shortcut key be introduced to give focus to the flash object?
could a mousemove give the object focus?
In my second post in this thread, when mentioning this issue, I've provided a link to another thread.. if you have a look there; I think what's required to do what you're suggesting has already been tried - there's also an example script and flash file there for anyone who wants something to test on.

thanks everyone,
Dale.
Last edited by DaledeSilva on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

Question....
if there is a "The" at the beginning of an ALBUM name... should that be ignored too?

Dale.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well MM doesn't, it only applies it to artists, so I'd go with being consistent with that.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
gab

Post by gab »

Dale: Great script. Hopefully this, or something very similar, will be incorporated natively into MM 3.0. I am having a pretty big issue however. Whenever I have Pretty Pictures enabled, MM will eventually slow down to the point that I have to shut it down (CPU usage spikes to 70%-80%). Here are some other facts:

I have about 10,000 songs and 1,000 albums.

I am using Pretty Pictures and Library Panes simultaneously[/list]
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

gab,, I would say that this is due to the memory issues that I need to look at... currently.. Pretty Pictures uses alot of ram putting the images it uses into memory... but it doesn't give much of it back when it refreshes... instead.. only restarting mediamonkey forces it too.

this is something I have to look at. Thanks for letting me know

Dale.