Album Art always vanishes off iPod after 4-5 synchs

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Mthrsuperior

Album Art always vanishes off iPod after 4-5 synchs

Post by Mthrsuperior »

This is one of those "I know how to fix it but what the heck causes it" questions.

My Ipod is constantly "losing" all the album artwork.
It seems to happen every few synchs.

What I usually end up doing is removing all the tracks, deleting the album art DB and loading her back up.
This takes a long freakin time for a 60G ipod.

Any guesses as to what's happening here and is there a quicker fix?

BTW, updating the device database will often wipe the album art too.
Even if I boot up the dreaded iTunes and reset my Pod back to scratch, this problem will crop up again. and again......
Most of my tags have one piece of art only which is "not specified"

Thanks,
<throws a banana>
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you checked if this is a known iPod issue? Do you have the latest firmware for the device? Have you tried multiple syncs with iTunes to see if this issue also occurs with other applications?
Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior »

It's a monkey thing.

Happened again today and strangely a device DB rebuild fixed it this time.
Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior »

Update:

Rebuild device database didn't fix the problem.
It restored Artwork but for the wrong albums. :cry:

In short, after several synchs my iPod "loses" all Album Art.
This happens continuously and is reproducible.
So far the only way I've been able to fix this is to wipe the iPod and start again.
This only happens with MM.
All tags are synchronized.

The only thing that might be different from myself and other users is that my iPod is filled entirely by auto-playlists and I synch 2-3 times a day.
Because of the auto-playlists each synch adds/subtracts about 600 tracks.

Any ideas?
jiri

Post by jiri »

This problem happens occasionally to some users, but we weren't able to locate it yet, although we made an extensive testing of this. Try to create a debug log starting from the very first synchronization after you clean iPod and e-mail it to me, hopefully it will help.

Jiri
FadeToBolivia

Post by FadeToBolivia »

From another thread:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15127

In iTunes:
I then unchecked display album art on the ipod - it took a minute or two and it deleted all the album artwork off the ipod. I then checked it again - it then rebuilt the album artwork and now it seems to be working ok.
After losing the artwork on my nano, I did this and it re-appeared. Good luck.
Absolute_Zero

Check the thread again

Post by Absolute_Zero »

Didn't want to double post but check that thread linked above again.
Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior »

thanks for the help but I saw that thread.
those fixes don't work either.
Or rather they fix the problem but it just comes back again.

I think all that unchecking and checking the album art box in iTunes does is to clear the album art DB.
Usually when I rebuild the iPod from scratch I delete the album art DB off the iPod manually.
Neither of these things stops the problem from recurring.

I'm assuming that since rebuilding the device database restores the wrong artwork (sometimes) it must be the DB becoming corrupt that is the problem.
I'll scandisc the iPod over the weekend and work on a debug log.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior »

I *think* I figured this out but I haven't had a chance to run a proper bug log.

The artwork vanishes or becomes corrupt during the synch following a failed synch.
The failures in my case being caused by trying to synch playlists that exceed the capacity of the iPod.

I've just recently noticed :lol: that on the device options screen there is a "summary" button that tells you what % of your device's capacity the current playlists will fill.
My playlists are mostly random auto playlists so it was not uncommon for me to see the warning about device capacity being exceeded before I discovered the above summary feature.

So what I've discovered is a connection between the exceeding device capacity warning message and corrupted artwork.
I've yet to have a corruption since I've discovered this and if I deliberately try and exceed the devices capacity my artwork will corrupt.
:P
charlieMOGUL

Post by charlieMOGUL »

Hi,

I experience the same issue (wrong/missing Album Art after some synchs with iPod Video 5.5G 80GB using MM 2.5.5.998). It seems that you can trigger the issue by deleting some tracks on the iPod (which are on the synchronization list) using MediaMonkey, and then synchronizing again (which puts the deleted tracks back on the iPod).

Jiri/developers: is it useful to submit debug logs for this problem, or should I/we wait for version 3 ?

Thanks in advance,

charlieMOGUL
Max Power

Post by Max Power »

I'm still having this problem with my 30gb ipod photo. Going through itunes is the only way to fix it. Will there be an update to MM to fix this bug? I hate itunes and was hoping to be able to get rid of it all together.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

I also have this problem sometimes and a friend of mine too. But it happens to occasionally to create a debuglog... I'll ask my friend, maybe he can create one.

Big_Berny
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
forya

i think i got it

Post by forya »

I believe there are 2 things that cause this.
The 1st being the over capacity issue. Delete like 2 gigs of songs and see if it fixes the problem.

the 2nd and more common, at least for me is: when you have your ipod hooked up to your computer and are viewing it's contents on MM, and delete, or change the tags of that song, it throws off all the ablum art tags. Don't delete anything off of the ipod, use playlists, and do your editing in MM, not the Ipod node, and the problem will go away

I have a 5.5 gen 80 Gig Ipod that was driving me crazy, not we are at peace