Quick start info?

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey Server and learn about the newest builds.

Moderators: drakinite, Gurus

bkenobi69

Quick start info?

Post by bkenobi69 »

I've been looking to replace my Windows based RAID5 file server for years but one of the requirements has been it must be able to act as a MM server. I haven't paid attention for a few months and now see that MM Server is a thing! I've started reading the various posts, but is there a document that contains all the info on the wiki or something that I'm not finding?

I've located a 2011 era Synology setup that looks pretty attractive as far as cost to features but I'm trying to confirm it has the required feature set that would make it work with this new MM Server capability.
Peke

Re: Quick start info?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Please make model number of the server so that we can check CPU, but I personally doubt you can do much because at that time both Synology and QNAP had fairly hardware. Do not get me wrong Perfect for RAID configuration and network shares but not that good for running servers 24/7. I am just being honest, as I am in same place using one QNAP Intel based NAS from late 2012.

Also MM Server is in Alpha stages and user needs to have at least basic knowledge of Linux bash and SSH controls and most things are manually installed.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

The unit is a Synology DS1511+ and expansion DX513. According to the info I've found it does support Docker but not sure if that's all that's needed. I'm aware that this is in alpha still so don't expect it to be super simple yet. As long as the dev team is still intent on making it at least beta if not full release at some point and the hardware is supported, I'd be happy to take the extra steps. I've used Linux for years though I wouldn't try to suggest I'm an expert. So long as there is a way to SSH into the Synology, it seems like there are options!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I guess it can work as device have Intel D525 CPU. I hope you got the good price as I can find used ones for less than 150 without expansion.
Best regards,
Peke
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Haven't moved forward yet, but its a pretty fair price. $700 for both including 20TB of drives. Wanted to confirm it would work before I jumped.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hmm, If you can ask seller to send you SMART info on the drives just in case, I only use NAS Enterprise drives in my QNAP and replace them every 4-5 years. Just in case. Also I would suggest dedicated UPS for NAS only to have at least 30 Min autonomy to preserve and shut down NAS on Power outrage. I personally despite RAID5 on More than 5 Disks and 8TB and prefer to have Multiple RAID1 for safe keeping as rebuilding 20TB RAID5 can take days if CRC fail and puts a lot of Stress on rest of Drives.

Some would say I am wrong but I am safer with 2x12TB RAID1 than 5x4TB RAID5, As I can shutdown NAS pull the both Drives and manually copy all data from both in order to complete backup.
Best regards,
Peke
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Good suggestions. I started with a 3 drive 750GB RAID5 around 15 years ago. I didn't use NAS certified drives (probably a mistake). I've replaced several drives and expanded to 4 at some point. I agree about rebuild and questions of redundancy.

My thought was if I get this one to use RAID6 or RAID5+spare with a subset of the drives and keep a couple on the shelf as replacements. They are average 15k hours so that's the second issue with this one. If the system works with MM Server (which it sounds like it should), then i could use the drives for now and replace when there's a sale on NAS drives.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I had some tgings come up so this slipped in priority. Im still looking to get this server but im not sure where the info on how to compile/install linux is located. I originally thought the only option would be wine+MMW but if there's a cleaner way I'd rather do that. That said, i do need to be able to sync my phone to the MM database and update audio files as needed. Not sure if all options support that.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

bkenobi69 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:59 pm Im still looking to get this server but im not sure where the info on how to compile/install linux is located
It's pretty open-ended in terms of what OS to install, but I understand that can be quite challenging. I'm sure there are more user-friendly solutions out there, but what I've personally done is dove straight into a self-managed Ubuntu Server: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2m52F0S2w8

I haven't checked out any of the software on this list, but maybe one of them would work for you: https://www.techradar.com/best/best-nas ... er-distros - as long as the software you pick supports SSH (I clicked on the first one for example, openmediavault, and their main webpage says it supports SSH).

If you do go for one of those user-friendly options, I'd look first to see how extensive the documentation and support is. (Again I only looked at openmediavault so far, but that one also seems to have a lot of documentation on their docs site)

If you still prefer Windows, though, MMS currently has compiled builds being released for Windows, so you could probably still just use that.

Regarding your questions about RAID: unfortunately I personally have zero experience with RAID, so I wouldn't be able to help you pick a solution there, but you seem to know enough about RAID to get around!
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I ran my last RAID on windows but there are many compact units that run a HW RAID with linux kernels. The one I'm looking at has the system exposed so it would be possible to install things including docker on it. The main issue is i dont see any links to a guide or even info on the capabilities or steps of any kind to get MM Linux going. I can do the reading but cant find any docs. Leaning against this approach mainly because i cant find any info of any kind.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

For the MediaMonkey Server executable that's released on the alpha testing thread (viewtopic.php?p=493497#p493497), just download and extract it, then just run the "mms" executable. It shouldn't matter which distribution of linux you're running since I think all its dependencies are included.

example:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p mediamonkeyserver # Create folder to put the MMS executable in
cd mediamonkeyserver # move to the folder
wget https://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/mms/MMS-linux64-0.4.3.tar.gz # download the linux release
tar -xvf MMS-linux64-0.4.3.tar.gz # extract into the current folder
./mms # run the executable
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Ok great!sounds like it might be good to test capabilities before investing in hardware. Is there a list of what it can do, what's planed, what's requested? Ill check out that link to see if any of those are answered.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Definitely a good idea to test first before buying hardware for it. I wouldn't really recommend buying hardware dedicated to MediaMonkeyServer just yet, since it's still quite unstable and we (dev team) are putting most of our focus on MMW. (Also, we don't have a timeline yet for when MMS will get more attention).

Try it out on your main PC first, to check out its behavior and see if it works for you!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Note that MMS is open source and anyone can contribute it on GitHub which means we are there to steer it, but like Drakinite not priority ATM.

I personally would like it to be as all my media is already on QNAP and others in team have Synology devices too.
Best regards,
Peke
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Understood. Is the goal that it would eventually have features like wifi sync to MMA? The server would just need network access (which it obviously would have) and the MMA device would need to connect to that network via wifi (which would be standard). I can use other methods now. Just wondering if that's in the plans at some point?