Thanks for the kind words.
Discogs does limit the number of API requests. The script limited the requests to 3/second but Discogs changed the limit shortly after I implemented that rate to 60/minute for authorized requests and 25/minute for unauthorized requests. As MM5 was in alpha I had not bothered to update this script, just let Discogs throttle you, and thought I'd update for MM5.
I haven't even started working on a MM5 version, but, I did start working on using the DiscogsAuth flow instead of oAuth for authentication, and will release this update to the script for MM4.
Going forward only DiscogsAuth will be supported for the Earliest Release Date script. This will be true for MM5 if I ever do update the script for that version. Also at some point in the future I will discontinue the PHP server that processes the oAuth requests presently.
For DiscogsAuth to work you must get a personal access token from Discogs.
Login to Discogs and go to "Settings" --> "Developer" --> copy the personal access token and paste into the Earliest Date Options page "Personal Access Token" edit box. If there is no token present, generate one.
Using your personal access token will provide you with the 60 requests/minute rate on Discogs.
Download from http://earliestrelease.com/ERDVersions/ ... 0.235.mmip
or use Tools -- Extensions -- Find Updates
- Add Support for DiscogsAuth
- Use response headers from API results to throttle connections. This should be future proof if the API limits change again. Script runs at full speed until only 5 API requests remain. At that point the API requests will start to slow down but the script will continue to run.
- Add support for debug logs. Default is off
- Move discogs clear keys buttons to options page
- other bug fixes
- Develop MM5 Version
- Current Discogs search query with the 'Track' parameter fails with track names with unicode characters and/or some punctuation marks (exclamation mark for example). This is a Discogs API bug. If some searches fail due to this bug, switch to MusicBrainz for those tracks.