Small but irritating problem, somebody please help me out...

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

smoryobemag

Small but irritating problem, somebody please help me out...

Post by smoryobemag »

Hi all,

I've got my music collection in my studyroom on a harddisk called MP3, driveletter H:.

In the living room, I've got a small PC connected to my television, and that PC is also connected through a home network to my MP3-collection, also as drive H:.

It takes a small amount of time (approx. 1 hour) to scan all my 30.000 MP3's on my fast studyroomPC.
But through the home network connection, it takes my slower livingroomPC about 6 hours to scan those same files.

So I thought: If on both PC's the files are on H:, it should be easy to copy the database (112MB) from my studyroomPC to my livingroomPC.

But... That doesn't seem to work. Mediamonkey seems to make a difference between a local harddrive, and a network drive. I tried to alter the location by accessing the MM-properties for this location on the livingroomPC, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

I know there's a possibility to monitor folders for changes, filemovement, etc. But this also takes the same time at MM startup as a full scan, 6 hrs, and therefor is not the solution to my problem.

PLEASE, can somebody give me the golden tip to use the database from the studyroom in the livingroom, without having to do a 6 hrs scan of the network drive?
I already have a corrected database from the study, so how hard must it be to use it in the living?

Thnx in advance for the answers!

Regards,

Arjan
jiri

Post by jiri »

There are two possibilities:

1. Use File Monitor and disable the start-up scan. This way you won't be slowed down, but this will work well only if this computer is running while you make changes to your collection.

2. Scan your collection as a network one on both computers (i.e. don't scan it from C:\MyMusic, but from something like \\MyComp\C\MyMusic on both computers).

Jiri
Lowlander

1 DB, multiple PC's

Post by Lowlander »

Well I have one PC with songs and other PC's that access those songs. Non of these PC's have songs themselves.

I have the MM DB stored on the same shared drive as the music. The DB has the music stored under the network path (scanned DB on musics local PC, but used network path to scan).

You'll just need to change the mediamonkey.ini file to link MM to a different DB location (improvements planned for a future edition of MM).

The benefits of one shared MM DB is that files need only to be scanned once and informatio stored in DB and not in tags is available on all PC's without needing to reenter the information.

The disadvantage is that DB gets slower if more than once user is connected at the same time.