Copy files based on playlist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

wolfsong

Copy files based on playlist

Post by wolfsong »

I posted to another forum looking for an application that can read the contents of an m3u, calculate the disc space that would be used and copy the files and the file structure to another disc. They suggested MM but I can't figure out how to do it.

Also, MM doesn't display my cover art (folder.jpg) stored in album folder.

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

folder.jpg album art is generally from Windows Media Player. WMP likes to set the file properties to hidden. MediaMonkey doesn't read hidden files. Make sure that all your album art is not set to hidden.
You also need to set in the options that MediaMonkey is allowed to scan for album art during scanning of songs.

I don't think the playlist copy/move can be done as such. But you can open a playlist and use auto-organize to move the files to a specified folder structure (can be on an other harddrive or a network location). Of course the statusbar contains information about how big the total filesize of the playlist is.

Please be more specific if you still need help on this issue.
wolfsong

Post by wolfsong »

Well the auto-organize will achieve what I want but is there some way to specify copy only?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

You should be able to select and right click the files and use the 'send to folder (copy)' menu.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Problem with copy would be maintaining the folder structure no (which doesn't mean that the auto-organize works as it moves files)?

What are you trying to accomplish wolfsong?
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Bottom Left Hand Corner Lists the Disc space etc of the current m3u playlist.

wolfsong

Post by wolfsong »

Teknojnky wrote:You should be able to select and right click the files and use the 'send to folder (copy)' menu.
That will only copy the files not the file structure.
wolfsong

Post by wolfsong »

Lowlander wrote:Problem with copy would be maintaining the folder structure no (which doesn't mean that the auto-organize works as it moves files)?
I'm not following.
What are you trying to accomplish wolfsong?
I want to create a playlist and copy the files and the file structure to a new location.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well I said the same as you, that copying doesn't maintain the directory structure.

Is the new location a normal PC location (local or network) or is it a portable device? I'm asking this as I don't know of a way to copy maintaining the directory structure. You can look into using copy thru the location and my computer nodes. I would expect those to maintain the directory structure.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

You can drag and drop folders within the library/my computer to move files, but this does not rename anything, and you can only select one folder, but all of its subfolder will move with it.

Folders are not displayed in the track list, so if you select a group of files and move them, they will all end up in the same folder.

Also, you can copy folder/files by holding down the CONTROL key (same as within windows explorer).
heinimuecki

Post by heinimuecki »

copying the content of a particular playlist to a new location (disk) can be done by using a synchronize setup.

with the "d_usbmass1.dll" you can set up a drive letter and in the device
settings you can set up a file/folder mask as you like.
wolfsong

Post by wolfsong »

Lowlander wrote:Well I said the same as you, that copying doesn't maintain the directory structure.

Is the new location a normal PC location (local or network) or is it a portable device? I'm asking this as I don't know of a way to copy maintaining the directory structure. You can look into using copy thru the location and my computer nodes. I would expect those to maintain the directory structure.
The new location is a removable drive. I'm not sure what you mean by "You can look into using copy thru the location and my computer nodes. I would expect those to maintain the directory" since that's not available by playlist.
wolfsong

Post by wolfsong »

Teknojnky wrote:You can drag and drop folders within the library/my computer to move files, but this does not rename anything, and you can only select one folder, but all of its subfolder will move with it.

Folders are not displayed in the track list, so if you select a group of files and move them, they will all end up in the same folder.

Also, you can copy folder/files by holding down the CONTROL key (same as within windows explorer).
Again. I want to do this with a playlist.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

heinimuecki wrote:copying the content of a particular playlist to a new location (disk) can be done by using a synchronize setup.

Ah yes I see, this will do the job nicely

Tools > options > portable/audio devices
Select Generic Portable/Audio Device
click configure

All the option tabs you need
wolfsong

Post by wolfsong »

MoDementia wrote:
heinimuecki wrote:copying the content of a particular playlist to a new location (disk) can be done by using a synchronize setup.

Ah yes I see, this will do the job nicely

Tools > options > portable/audio devices
Select Generic Portable/Audio Device
click configure

All the option tabs you need
Yes! This is exactly what I wanted to achieve. Thanks for the help!