Handling Large Libraries

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

fncll

Handling Large Libraries

Post by fncll »

What's the best process for adding albums to large libraries-- should I add them manually to my music folders with explorer and then rescan the directory? How about adding multiple albums?

I'm trying to avoid file monitor because it takes sooo long to startup (I have a relatively large library of 28,000 files, will be around 60,000 when I'm all done ripping CDs I think)...

Other best practices for working with large libraries?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The rescan settings can be changed, depending on your settings scanning all files can be slow or fast.

Many users with large libraries will add songs to a new songs folder and rescan that. From there use Auto-Organize Files to move them to your regular library.

Alternatively if you rip CD's with MediaMonkey to a library location the CD's will be in the library when ripped so you don't need to scan them again.
RandallSG

Post by RandallSG »

Yes, you are correct, it can take a long time to re-scan a large library.

I have a "New Music" folder where I rip all of my new CD's. Usually only a few hundred tracks there at any given time. Then I confirm the tags, add artwork, etc.

As soon as everything in the "New Music" folder is clean, I use "Auto Organize" to move the music into my normal Music Folders, in a standard name format.

Re: Handling Large Libraries

Post by Guest »

fncll wrote:I'm trying to avoid file monitor because it takes sooo long to startup (I have a relatively large library of 28,000 files, will be around 60,000 when I'm all done ripping CDs I think)...
File Monitor is your best bet and one of the best features of MM Gold. For each folder monitored, File monitor has two settings; subfolder (yes/no), and start-up scan (yes/no). Set the start-up scan setting to 'no' (double click on the word 'no' - this dialog box is NOT intuitive!) for your music folder and it won't take any time all all when starting MM. Any changes will be picked up.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I have MM set to only MONITOR my \Music folder and subfolders, however I have a few other subfolders to autoscan... ie autoscan \Music\Downloads etc etc.
fncll

Thanks!

Post by fncll »

Thanks-- using a secondary folder and then auto-organizing to move the files never would have occurred to me!