FLAC playback overhead???

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Agrajag

FLAC playback overhead???

Post by Agrajag »

Guys, I seem to be stuck in lossless format hell here and could use some advice.

My music collection was initially created in WMA 9 Lossless. That worked well for me except that dbpowerAMP had trouble ripping CD's into that format and keeping the tags straight.

Based on input from Spoon (the author) I converted everything over to APE. That was okay except that I then had trouble getting APE to work right with any of my other devices. I couldn't get APE to stream to the Xbox 360 properly, for example (among other issues).

I now have everything in FLAC and thought I was finally good to go. Now I finally launched MediaMonkey to play some of these songs in the background but now find my system heavily impacted. With the other formats I was able to have MM in the background and play games and such but not now. Everything is dramatically impacted.

I'm trying to avoid keeping two versions of every song around. MP3's solve a lot of issues but why use it if I have the best quality version of it right here?

Any ideas?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

There should not be any noticible difference between flac and any other file type.

What version of MM are you using?
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

2.5.5.998 is the lastest version, download it from the MM website.
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

BTW, on that issue, am I correct that updates require full installs? Is this being addressed at some point if that's accurate?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

All updates are full installs, you can upgrade (and in most cases downgrade) over existing installations with no issues.

That said, its usually prudent to backup you mediamonkey.mdb library database and mediamonky.ini in the \my documents\my music\mediamonkey folder.