Making DFX work with MM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cadmanmeg

Making DFX work with MM

Post by cadmanmeg »

Is there a way to make DFX audio enhancer to work with MM 2.54? If I remember correctly back when I first gained interest in MM and was still using winamp as my player that it was not possible. Is it now? Any other enhancer that works just as well? Any input? Thanks much.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

I think it's any DSP/plugin that is compatible with WinAmp 2.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

Yes DFX will work nicely with MM. If I recall correctly, you just have to create an empty file in your MM directory and name it winamp.exe to trick the installer into thinking it's dealing with winamp.

One downside of DFX (other than the cost, obviously) is that it opens a separate window regardless of the preference you set in MM.

I now use Jammix (freeware, get it on winamp.com under the DSP plugins) and love it!
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Thanks for the tip MCSmarties.

I install Jammix just a few minutes ago, and it's incredible!
I like the nil_3D_Studio preset, to boost music depth.

I was using the famous Enhancer 0.17 DSP for its simplicity,
and sometimes Sound Solution 1.31 for its compression capabilities.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

Hi Eyal,

I just installed Jammix but I can see a nil_3D-studio preset (if that is what you meant). I'm feeling a little daunted right now to play with the settings myself so I thought I'd just ask what a good one is?
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Hi MyCsPiTTa,
maybe you don't have the same version as me. I have v 031.
I don't remember but maybe there is someting to specify when you install the plugin to have all presets.
Otherwise, here the screenshots of the nil_3D Studio Bass & Music settings:

Image Image

But likewise, I like and often use the FM_Station preset for most of modern music (Pop/Rock/Electronic/Ambient...).
But that depends on your system, speakers and your taste.

Hop it helps.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

Thanks, I did a search and found a pack of presets with these in it. nil_3D_studio just made everything distorted though!

Oh well, I think MM sounds pretty good even with no enhancements for now. I'll have a play with Jammix later. It's a pity it takes so long for alterations to the sliders to come into effect though (like 5-10 seconds for me). Makes objective adjustments very hard.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

MyCsPiTTa wrote:It's a pity it takes so long for alterations to the sliders to come into effect though (like 5-10 seconds for me). Makes objective adjustments very hard.
This depends on buffer size set in the Output plugin. The longer the read-ahead, the longer the delay. Try it with the Wave-Out Output plugin with default settings or 0.5 to 1 second buffer.

Again, all settings depend on your sound system and speakers, and your sound taste. :wink:
legacy10000

Installing Jammix

Post by legacy10000 »

While installing Jammix, the install button is grayed out. Any ideas?
Zzaj

Re: Installing Jammix

Post by Zzaj »

legacy10000 wrote:While installing Jammix, the install button is grayed out. Any ideas?
I got Jammix INSTALLED, but when MM starts up, it comes up with an error that says "Cannot display; reset to 96DPI"... any idea how to fix that?
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Hi guys sorry for late response, my internet was down for 3 days.

Jammix is a Winamp plugin, meaning the installation will seek for Winamp.exe and Winamp.ini files to be in the target install folder.

2 ways out to install:
-If you have Winamp installed, install it there and copy the plugin files to Mediamonkey\Plugins folder. The Jammix files are dsp_jammix.dll and JammiX folder.
-Or create with Notepad 2 empty fake files named Winamp.exe and Winamp.ini in the \Program Files\MediaMonkey\ folder and lanch the plugin installation again.

There are lot of other posts talking about that in the forum.
Hope it helps.
Zzaj

Re: Installing Jammix

Post by Zzaj »

Zzaj wrote:
legacy10000 wrote:While installing Jammix, the install button is grayed out. Any ideas?
I got Jammix INSTALLED, but when MM starts up, it comes up with an error that says "Cannot display; reset to 96DPI"... any idea how to fix that?
Well, I could NOT figure out (on my VISTA laptop) how to reset pixels down to 96DPI, so I tossed JAMMIX & installed Sound Solution 1.31 - MUCH better, in my estimation.. LOVE those presets, too!