Upgrading to MM3 hosed my installs?!

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TJOHO

Upgrading to MM3 hosed my installs?!

Post by TJOHO »

OK, so I thought I'd take the plunge and upgrade to MM3 since I had to install it on a new computer anyway.

Up until this point I had MM installed on two separate computers (home/office) but all the music and the database on an external USB hard drive. I had moved the My Music folder to the external drive for both computers so MM found the database regardless.

This time I thought I'd be clever and install the program on the external drive as well. I installed MM3 in my PortableApps folder and started it, it converted my database and loaded it just fine. However, there were two problems:

1. As mentioned, the database was fine and I when I double clicked on a song in it, it loaded but did not play. It just stood at zero minutes zero seconds. Scrubbing forward did nothing.
2. I wasn't sure where the database would be located because I installed it on an external drive. It was not in the program folder on that drive, and it was not in the new default location (no MediaMonkey folder in the Application Data folder for my user).

Because of 2., I tried installing MM3 in the standard Program Files directory of my new computer, thinking the database would show up in the Application Data folder then.
But nothing happened - no difference in running MM3 Local and MM3 Portable.

Coming home, I fired up the portable MM3, which asked to convert my database again. I let it do it and it worked fine. Well, as it worked as well as in the office. I can do anything in the program except actually play music, it seems. :wink:

I shut down portable MM3 and started my old MM2 installation at home, but this will not play any music either.

So no difference in running MM2.5 Local and MM3 Portable.

Yikes! Will I have to switch media player? And I got a life time license too... :(
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The default locations are...

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\USERX\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey
Windows Vista: C:\Users\USERX\AppData\Local\Mediamonkey

You can change this though by editing the ini file, as per this FAQ...

http://www.mediamonkey.com/faq/index.ph ... ght=dbname
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
paulcito

Post by paulcito »

does editing the ini file and adding the db path still work, since in MM3 its now a sqlite db and not Access mdb?
paulcito

Post by paulcito »

TJOHO

Post by TJOHO »

trixmoto wrote:The default locations are...

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\USERX\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey
Windows Vista: C:\Users\USERX\AppData\Local\Mediamonkey

You can change this though by editing the ini file, as per this FAQ...

http://www.mediamonkey.com/faq/index.ph ... ght=dbname
Trixmoto, I know this.
In my original post, I wrote
it was not in the new default location (no MediaMonkey folder in the Application Data folder for my user).
Also, and I guess that is my fault for mixing two problems, that does not address the bigger issue: that MM2.5 and MM3 now refuse to play my library!

The programs find, load, and manipulate (changing tags, editing playlists etc) the database just fine, it seems. So either way, the program knows where it is.

The main issue remains: MediaMonkey does not play my music. Any thoughts?
TJOHO

Post by TJOHO »

Argh. I guess I don't read so well under stress. :oops:

I found out that the database is indeed at

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey

while I had been looking for it at

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data

My apologies, Trixmoto! And a question: is it possible to move the .ini file, or does that still have to reside in the folder mentioned above? It's kind of a drag to have to keep the two .ini files on two separate computers in sync.

Oh, and the not-playing-anything problem was something with Windows. It would not play any media in any player. In the office I reinstalled XP (was fresh anyway) and at home I used an older clone of my virtual machine (all the more reason to go virtual all the way, but that's another topic).

Now I think I have everything set up so that the two computers can play my music on the external drive using the new database, also on that drive. If the .ini file could be made portable, all would be perfect.