Database versus Tags

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Seeker

Database versus Tags

Post by Seeker »

I'm a big 'tag' type of person. I make sure every track I have is tagged as nicely as I can do it.

That said, what is in the mediamonkey database that is NOT in the tags? i.e. what do I lose if I just blow the database away and have mediamonkey recreate it from the music files?

I assume it would be something like last played, date added to database and things like that, but am I missing something fundamental? Is there a list of these items?

I even see that 'playcount' appears to be in the tags -and that raises another question - anytime I update a tag, I have mediamonkey update the file - does the file get updated (if for nothing else - the playcount value) every time I play a song?

Thanks for the answers!
nohitter151

Re: Database versus Tags

Post by nohitter151 »

Seeker wrote:I'm a big 'tag' type of person. I make sure every track I have is tagged as nicely as I can do it.

That said, what is in the mediamonkey database that is NOT in the tags? i.e. what do I lose if I just blow the database away and have mediamonkey recreate it from the music files?

I assume it would be something like last played, date added to database and things like that, but am I missing something fundamental? Is there a list of these items?

I even see that 'playcount' appears to be in the tags -and that raises another question - anytime I update a tag, I have mediamonkey update the file - does the file get updated (if for nothing else - the playcount value) every time I play a song?

Thanks for the answers!
There's a full list of what's saved in tags by file type in the help file (Help | Help Content). Generally though, if you lose the database, you'll lose fields such as playcount, date added, last played, playlists that tracks are in, and virtual CD information (I may have forgotten some, and it also depends what file type you're talking about).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Ok - but it seems playcount is in the tags - so again, it's NOTclearwhat is tagged vs. database only.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Seeker wrote:Ok - but it seems playcount is in the tags - so again, it's NOTclearwhat is tagged vs. database only.
Playcount is definitely not saved to tags.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

So here's what is confusing:

I thought these screens were the editable tag areas, but it appears that some of the fields are 'database only' fields vs tag fields.

So, where is this list of 'this is what is in the tags' vs. 'this is what is in the database'.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Press F1 and search for "About Track Properties" and you'll find the schema you're asking for.
But the properties that always only exists in the database (regardless of the filetype), are those that nohitter wrote:
playcount, date added, last played, playlists
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts