"The color scheme has been changed to windows vista basic"

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ki M oi

"The color scheme has been changed to windows vista basic"

Post by ki M oi » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Sorry to come along with one post and be a total noob, but I do have a problem that I can't seem to work out how to fix. I'd bear the embarrassment of there being an obvious solution just to get this awesome program to work properly...

A quick search of this forum turned up no results for my problem, so I assume that my case is isolated...

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, with an ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphics card. I downloaded Media Monkey 3.06, and when I installed it and opened it it popped up with a message saying "The color scheme has been changed to windows vista basic", and changing to the jarring, ugly color scheme that is Windows Vista Basic. You probably know the message, this comes up whenever I open Quicktime or something like that. With such programs I can bear it, because I hardly use Quicktime, but I plan to start using Media Monkey as my main music player from now, and the only thing stopping me from happily doing this is this color scheme change.

I looked around for whether this is a common problem, but everywhere states that Media Monkey is compatible with Vista Home Premium, and no-one else seems to have this problem...

Any help would be appreciated... (Unless you simply tell me to get back on XP, in which case I'll shoot you. :P)

Mizery_Made

Re: "The color scheme has been changed to windows vista basic"

Post by Mizery_Made » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:53 pm

I use Vista Premium on my laptop and I have no trouble using MediaMonkey with Aero, only program I've had throw up this problem is Toshiba's DVD Player software. I remember reading up briefly on this the other day when I opened up the DVD Player again and it happened, I think Windows Help mentioned not having enough memory to run the Aero Effect and the program you brought up as being one of the causes. How much memory do you have?

kiMoi

Post by kiMoi » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:49 am

I don't think it's a performance issue... I'll be more specific with what it says:

"The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista Basic"
A running program isn't compatible with certain visual elements of Windows. Click here for more information.

*Click*

*Click*

Like I said, doubt it's because of insufficient memory. I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz processor with 2GB of RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 2400 128MB dedicated memory graphics card... On an Asus laptop.

*shrugs*

Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:03 am

Did you perhaps uncheck "Enable full skinning (override Windows System theme)" during install or run the unskinned version of MediaMonkey? Perhaps that could explain the troubles with Aero & the Monkey.

kiMoi

Post by kiMoi » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:18 am

I might have... I remember selecting something like that that wasn't default during installation... How can I change that?

Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:59 am

Go into "Options" -> Skin -> Uncheck Override Skin theme with Windows System them (requires restart)
Or you might try going into the MediaMonkey folder in the Programs Files folder and opening the MediaMonkey.exe as opposed to MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe

EDIT: I don't normally mess with the un-skinned version, but I figured I could check real quick if I got the same problem when opening it, thus I did. I didn't get the message upon opening the non-skinned version, so this might not be the problem afterall. You might check it anyway as I'm using the 3.1 test build, so perhaps something changed between your build and this one (unless you're using the same build)

kiMoi

Post by kiMoi » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:28 am

Unfortunately this wasn't the problem, no.

As for the different versions, I just downloaded the one on the front page... MediaMonkey_3.0.6.1190.exe was the name of the download file.

Thanks a lot for your help, your effort is appreciated!

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:43 pm

Check that you aren't starting MM in compatibility mode by right clicking the MM icon, then going to Properties and the Compatibility tab.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

kiMoi

Post by kiMoi » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:02 pm

Hmph, that isn't it either... It wasn't running in compatibility mode.

I'm thinking if I can't solve this, I should download a different (maybe older) version of MM and see if the problem is gone... or just reinstall the one I have now...

jaks

Post by jaks » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:10 pm

i have the exact same problem with mine. i'm running the latest version of MM (3.0.6.1190 i think) and it switches Explorer (windows) to the vista basic every time i open it.
i have the latest java JREs, as i read somewhere that that could be the problem, but that hasnt fixed anyhting. ive also tried overriding system theme, compatibility mode, and reinstalling MM. plus i just recently switcehd form MM 3.0.3 to 3.0.6 and i have had the problem with both versions.

i'm completely stumped. :S

jakis

Post by jakis » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:36 pm

oh, and im running:
intel core 2 quad
4 gig ram
radeon HD 2600 pro
vista home premium

and i just checked that i have the latest video card driver.
im startinbg to thkn it might be the video card series. im going to try another video card in this computer as soon as i get access to one and see if thats the problem.
although my friend has almost the same specs as me except he has an HD 2600 XT and his MM runs fine..
i HAVE heard that this series sucks though.
idk i'll try a different card..
oh and i realise i typo'd my name wrong last post

kiMoi

Post by kiMoi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:51 am

A new thing: I was messing around with TweakVI (A Vista appearance tweaking thingo) and when I went into the "DWM tweaks and settings" section and clicked "Reset default color" at the bottom under "Change 'Glass' color" (refer image), and the color scheme returned to normal (I'd had MM open, and it had changed the scheme to basic).

I have a theory that this may be something that's triggered by something in the startup of MM, but stays as long as MM is open. This happens with Quicktime in Firefox, if you view an embedded quicktime file in firefox (just like if you view one normally) it changes the color scheme to basic. Even when you've finished viewing the quicktime file, the color scheme stays basic until you close firefox, because it recognises that the program that had turned the color scheme to basic had closed. Could a similar thing be happening with MM?

(also, does anyone else have this problem with firefox? :P)

jakis

Post by jakis » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:03 am

switched in a 8600GT, its not eh video card thats eh touble i dont think.
that tweakVI is curious
there must be something embedded in the program that disables the aero theme.
is there a paramer we could put into the shortcut to disable the .. disablage?
or like a config file?
idk

hepek

Post by hepek » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:48 am

uncheck compatibility mode of mediamonkey. maybe it's on windows xp. it has to work.

idesdemars

Post by idesdemars » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:09 am

i unchecked the compatibility box and sure enough, the message went away!