Optimizing the Database

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

GeraldB

Optimizing the Database

Post by GeraldB »

File> Maintain Library>Optimize Database sounds like a good thing, but "optimize database" gets no hits in the Help file or Wiki. Maybe I'm just being dumb, but what is it?
Can't afford a signature.
Benn

Re: Optimizing the Database

Post by Benn »

As far as I'm aware (I'm a simple guy, really), it goes through the database file and removes any obsolete entries: whether they be unused genre fields, classification fields etc, and just generally cleans it up. In doing so, the database is made smaller, and much more efficient and faster to access.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

As already said by Benn the optimize compacts your database. This has been proven to improve performance. With MM3.1 there are now two options, "quick" and "complete"
Quick is over and done in less than a minute on my database and complete for me takes about 3-4 minutes.
I suggest running quick a couple of times during your running session and complete perhaps once a week. More often if you are adding, tagging or removing lots of files.

I also find a weekly de-frag of the main drive holding your music collection is also beneficial.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Thanks, guys. Will do it.
Can't afford a signature.